Tuesday, May 12, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 3; II Samuel 15-18; Romans 8:31 - "Redeemed"


This morning the Lord took me to Psalm 3. Once again this is about dealing with enemies. I read it in different versions and settled in on The Passion Translation. I love how it breaks it up into sections and shows how David wrote it with pausing in God's presence at times.

The Humbling of a King

Lord, I have so many enemies, so many who are against me.
Listen to how they whisper their slander against me, saying:
“Look! He’s hopeless! Even God can’t save him from this!”
Pause in his presence

The Help of God

But in the depths of my heart I truly know
that you, Yahweh, have become my Shield;
You take me and surround me with yourself.
Your glory covers me continually.
You lift high my head when I bow low in shame.
I have cried out to you, Yahweh, from your holy presence.
You send me a Father’s help.
Pause in his presence

The Song of Safety

So now I’ll lie down and sleep like a baby—
then I’ll awake in safety, for you surround me with your glory.
Even though dark powers prowl around me,
I won’t be afraid.

The Secret of Strength

I simply cry out to you:
“Rise up and help me, Lord! Come and save me!”
And you will slap them in the face,
breaking the power of their words to harm me.
My true hero comes to my rescue,
for the Lord alone is my Savior.
What a feast of favor and bliss he gives his people!
Pause in his presence
It seems like God has me pondering upon enemies. Is it about my enemies? Is He going to put someone before me to talk to that is struggling with their enemies? Is there going to be someone read what I write that needs encouraged about what they are going through with enemies? I don't feel like I have enemies other than when the enemy tries to bring up my past to remind me of people who still hold ill feelings about me. I know my past is just that. My past. It does not have any say over my future because God wiped my slate clean. I am reminded of hearing Big Daddy Weave sing in person a few years ago the song Redeemed.

Seems like all I could see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me "son
Stop fighting a fight it's already been won"

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be
I am redeemed, I'm redeemed

We do not have to worry about things we've done wrong when we have asked for forgiveness. We can go on with life knowing God forgives and forgets. People may not do so as quickly but if God lives in them He will empower them to do so. This Psalm was written by David after Absoluom had conspired against him in II Samuel 15-18. He was distraught and betrayed. Many times we find ourselves feeling such emotions. Sometimes even at the hand of a loved one or close friend. David shows in this Psalm the importance of being in God's presence to find safety and strength. We all need protected when the enemy comes knocking at our door. Without God's protection the enemy will walk right in and cause great havoc. We all need His strength to stand against the enemies tactics. I stand on II Timothy 1:7 every day in His empowerment against the enemy. He tries to tell me lies to get my focus off of God. 'You aren't good enough...He doesn't love you enough...You don't walk in His ways enough...' The list goes on and on of his lies. Last night I was reminded He is enough! As we live in Him, we have hope, strength, freedom...oh so many things that are only possible through Him. 


I believe David knew God was enough. I believe he lived in God's empowerment to get through such times as with his son conspiring against him. He did not have the Holy Spirit as we have today but he still was empowered by God. God shielded David. He helped him in his time of distress. I think of what Laura Story wrote about God does not always take our circumstances away. In verses five and six of Psalm 3 David writes about how God blessed him with sleep and He blessed him with waking up. David did not know if he would see another day of life yet He rested in God in knowing no matter what happened God was in control. Even though Paul had not yet written the words of Romans 8:31 David still knew it to be the truth. If God is for us, who can be against us? What a lesson there is to be learned here! This lesson is something David lived out. It is a lesson we all need to grasp. As we do, we will live in a feast of favor and bliss as David proclaimed in verse eight of Psalm 3 and know that God is enough! 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this Scripture and song this morning! Lord, I know You are enough but sometimes I need reminded. You are enough when Doc's pain is so great like yesterday. You are enough when I feel helpless with his situation. You are enough when the enemy tries to put fear upon me. Plain and simple. You are enough and for that knowledge I am grateful. Lord, cleanse me this morning so You can fill me to overflowing with Your Holy Spirit. Lord, may I be like David and continue to live in Your presence. May people see/hear You instead of me today. May You shine brightly from me. Lord, my heart aches for so many ones going through difficult days. I pray for people to surround them with Your love. Kathy, Aaron, Eddie, and Erica with their losses of loved ones. Craig and Vance as they work to regain strength. I pray for Dick who is having knee replacement today and Jan as she continues to regain strength from her knee replacement. Father, most of all I pray for those with spiritual needs. I pray for people to get to the end of themselves so You can be the Lord of Lords and King of Kings of their life. Father, be greater than their hurts. Thank You Jesus for being My True Hero! Amen.

No comments: