Tuesday, May 26, 2020

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 148 - "Goodness of God"


The Lord took me to Psalm 148 this morning. This is another Psalm about praising Him. Charles Spurgeon wrote of this Psalm:

It is a song of nature and of grace. As a flash of lightning flames through space, and enwraps both heaven and earth in one vestment of glory, so doth the adoration of the Lord in this Psalm light up all the universe, and cause it to glow with a radiance of praise. The song begins in the heavens, sweeps downward to dragons and all deeps, and then ascends again, till the people near unto Jehovah take up the strain. For its exposition the chief requisite is a heart on fire with reverent love to the Lord over all, who is to be blessed for ever. 

Woo hoo! We are to live a life of praise as we live a life of loving Him. Praising God should be as natural as the rain falling this morning. It should be as normal for us to praise God as it is for us to breathe. When we are going through storms of life, praising God does not always come to our mind. But it should because when we follow God, we have assurance of Him being with us. He is with us in the days of sunshine and He is with us in the days of storms. There is comfort in that knowledge. God is good even when life is hard. Once again, I think of Bethel's song Goodness of God.

And all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God


Yes! He has and will always be so, so good! This is why we need to praise Him in the days of sunshine and in the days of storms. Verse five of Psalm 148 gives us great advice from David.

Let every created thing give praise to the Lordfor he issued his command, and they came into being.

Why do we praise Him? Because He commands us to do so and because He created us to do so. Seems pretty clear in my mind. 

How can we praise Him when we are in the storms of life or when we are in the days of sunshine? We can find the answer to that in verse fourteen.

He has made his people strong, honoring his faithful ones - the people of Israel who are close to him. Praise the Lord!

We can praise Him all the time because He gives us His strength to do so. II Timothy 1:7 tells us how He empowers us with the strength of the Holy Spirit because He loves us so much. He cares about us beyond our imagination. Praise His Holy Name!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for giving me reasons to praise You even in the storms of life! Thank You for Doc being able to eat solids yesterday! Thank You for him taking a walk yesterday! Thank You for the rest You provided yesterday! Father, I even thank You for Mordecei being up so much during the night. I don't understand why but I don't have to. All I have to do in life is to praise You no matter what happens in life. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You in the day ahead. Use me in a mighty way today to be who You have called me to be. Thank You Father for being My Goodness! Amen.

No comments: