Saturday, December 5, 2015

Psalm 28 - "Cornerstone"

I was sharing with someone who is dealing with a friend that is going through a tough time about how when we have the Lord's strength it enables us to get through tough days so much easier. After sharing Philippians 4:13 with him the Lord took me to Psalm 28.
To you, Lord, I call;
    you are my Rock,
    do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent,
    I will be like those who go down to the pit.
Hear my cry for mercy
    as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
    toward your Most Holy Place.
Do not drag me away with the wicked,
    with those who do evil,
who speak cordially with their neighbors
    but harbor malice in their hearts.
Repay them for their deeds
    and for their evil work;
repay them for what their hands have done
    and bring back on them what they deserve.
Because they have no regard for the deeds of the Lord
    and what his hands have done,
he will tear them down
    and never build them up again.
Praise be to the Lord,
    for he has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
    my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
    and with my song I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,
    a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;
    be their shepherd and carry them forever.
This Psalm shows David's belief in prayer. Verse one reads of David calling the Lord his Rock. Verses three through five are prophecy of what is ahead for those who do not live for the Lord. Matthew Henry writes: This is not the language of passion or revenge. It is a prophecy that there will certainly come a day, when God will punish every man who persists in his evil deeds. Sinners shall be reckoned with, not only for the mischief they have done, but for the mischief they designed, and did what they could to effect. Disregard of the works of the Lord, is the cause of the sin of sinners, and becomes the cause of their ruin. Verses six and seven show David praising the Lord for being who He is in his life. What a blessing verses eight and nine are for those who know the Lord. My heart breaks for those who 'know' Him yet chose to walk a different life. In the words of Matthew Henry, Save us, Lord Jesus, from our sins; bless us, thou Son of Abraham, with the blessing of righteousness; feed us, thou good Shepherd of the sheep, and lift us up for ever from the dust, O thou, who art the Resurrection and the Life.

Dear Jesus,
I pray for anything that may be between You and I to be gone from my life. I pray for open eyes and heart to things that I may be missing that You desire of me. Lord, I pray for my Christian brothers and sisters to not only know You but to desire to be surrendered to You. I pray for those who are struggling in their spiritual walk to have breakthroughs. I pray for those who are 'on the fence' with You to realize the importance of being fully with You. Lord, time is short on this earth and I pray people will know they need to get right with You. I pray for a cleansing in Your people. I pray for people who have grudges against someone to go to that person and make things right. I pray for people who are angry with someone to ask for forgiveness not only from You but from the person they are angry with. Lord, I pray more believers will pray as I pray each and every day...fill me with more of You so I can be more Christ-like. Thank You Jesus for being My Example. Amen.

No comments: