Monday, December 7, 2015

John 14 - "At The Cross (Love Ran Red)"


The Lord woke me up with a strong urgency to read John 14. I thought it was the chapter that Jesus told his disciples, “Do not let your hearts be troubled…” As I read it, I would entitle it the “Comfort Chapter” with the way the Lord gives comfort through His Words. He comforts us with the knowledge that when we believe in Him, He is there for us. When we live in relationship with Him on this earth, we will live for eternity with Him. I like how Matthew Henry describes it. “By believing in Christ as the Mediator between God and man, we gain comfort.”  In verses six and seven Jesus says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” Matthew Henry writes about these verses:

Christ is the sinner's Way to the Father and to heaven, in his person as God manifest in the flesh, in his atoning sacrifice, and as our Advocate. He is the Truth, as fulfilling all the prophecies of a Saviour; believing which, sinners come by him the Way. He is the Life, by whose life-giving Spirit the dead in sin are quickened. Nor can any man draw nigh God as a Father, who is not quickened by Him as the Life, and taught by Him as the Truth, to come by Him as the Way. By Christ, as the Way, our prayers go to God, and his blessings come to us; this is the Way that leads to rest, the good old Way. He is the Resurrection and the Life. All that saw Christ by faith, saw the Father in Him. In the light of Christ's doctrine, they saw God as the Father of lights; and in Christ's miracles, they saw God as the God of power.

There is comfort in knowing when we believe in the Lord and allow His Holy Spirit to live in and through us we can have peace in trying times. His peace can be our peace no matter what storm in life comes along. How can that be? It is actually very simple. We need to ask Him for help. But it can’t just be a cry for help. It must be a cry for help in Jesus’ name. It also must be something that is in His will in order for Him to give it to us. He is our Advocate, Counsellor and Comforter. He knows what is best for us. When we ask for things that are not best for us, He will tell us so or won’t give us what we ask for. Matthew Henry writes, “As the source of holiness and happiness, the Holy Spirit will abide with every believer for ever.” There is comfort in knowing He lives in us at all times. Verse twenty-six gives me comfort. “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” Woo hoo! The blessing of living a life surrendered to the Lord is found in verse twenty-seven. Peace. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” Even as Jesus was preparing to leave this earth He had peace. He knew He was going to die yet He had peace. When friends betrayed Him, He had peace. When people would not follow Him, He had peace. When there were many people and little food, He had peace. How? Because He had the Holy Spirit living in and through Him. He was sent to this earth to save people through His death. He knew His purpose was soon going to be accomplished when He said these words in John 14. He had peace in knowing He did what His Father asked of Him. I want that same peace each and every day. The desire of my heart is to living in the Spirit so I can follow His lead. Oh how I pray more people would have the desire to live in such a relationship.

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for the reminders of John 14 this morning. There is so much ‘junk’ that has to be dealt with in this world but it seems around the holidays ‘junk’ multiples. There are so many unhappy people. Oh how I pray they would find true happiness in surrender to You. I pray for the enemy to be wiped out of families and relationships. I pray for more people to come into a surrendered life with You. I pray for more of You in me so I can do more of what You desire. Thank You Jesus for strength yesterday. I pray for You to give me recollection of the service. It seems like a blur in so many aspects because I had to concentrate so hard. Lord, thank You for our church family. Thank You for the way You are blessing us. I pray for Your continued guidance to be upon the Church board. I pray for You to be heard by all. Thank You Jesus for being My Comforter. Amen.

No comments: