Saturday, December 26, 2015

Jeremiah 29:11-14; Matthew 25:23 - "Joseph's Song"


Thirty-one years…how is it even possible that my ‘baby’ is a grown man, husband, daddy to four little ones? How is it possible that the little guy who use to say “his ‘puter told him’ when asked how he knew something now uses a computer every day? How is it that my little boy who went to Sunday School each week now teaches Sunday School? The answer to these questions is quite simple. God blesses Ben each and every day and blesses us through him. When Ben was little he would think about things such as New York City when we had never even been there. He built things with his imagination that were phenomenal. Now as I watch his children being creative it blesses me so much. A few years ago when Ben was ordained in the Nazarene Church he told me Jeremiah 29:11 was one of his favorite verses in the Bible. I know he lives this verse out each and every day. His faith is great…his love for the Lord is great…his dependence upon the Lord is great…being the leader of his family shows the Lord is his strength. As I read Jeremiah 29:11 and prayed for him the Lord prompted me to go on through verse fourteen.

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”


Ben has been in ‘captivity’ a few times in his life where clearly the Lord brought him through. In the womb when he was going to be born with an open spine but God healed him. In high school when he was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis but God healed him. In the trying times of moving from ‘home’ to a new life God stayed close to him to get through the times of anger and loneliness. God has been faithful to Ben because Ben has been faithful to God. I love these verses and what they mean to me when I think of Ben. I also love "Joseph's Song" and am blessed in remembering when Ben sang it in the Christmas program at our first year at the Willard Church.


This picture of Ben with his cheesecake on his fifth birthday is special to me for many reasons. First, it reminds me of how from the time he was able to articulate that he wanted a cheesecake instead of a cake for his birthday that is what he got! Second, it reminds me of the time I bought an expensive cheesecake to surprise him only to find out he likes the 'cheap Aldi box mix' ones better. That shows that money does not buy happiness. Ben was my little guy that would go to the 'free store' to help Grandma and Grandpa and walk in so proud of the bag of groceries he 'earned' to bring home to the family. He has always been a hard worker but the times that I see him working the hardest are those when he is serving others...being Jesus to many. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Ben and his life. Thank You for healing him physically different times. Thank You for calling him to be a godly husband and Daddy. Thank You for calling him to be Your servant. Father, I pray an abundance of blessing to be upon him this coming year. Guide his steps to where You desire him to go. Give him Your words and Your attitude so many will hear and see You through Him. Father, I pray for him just as I do myself...fill him to overflowing with more of Your Spirit. May his cup be overflowing with You throughout the days ahead. I pray He will hear Your words, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' (Matthew 25:23). Thank You Father for My Blessing in My Son Ben! Amen.



No comments: