Monday, November 24, 2014

Psalm 42 - "Words"

Last night was one filled with prayers and more prayers.  The Lord kept waking me up to pray for a family who I don't even know personally but my heart breaks for them.  A wife and children who are dealing with the sudden death of their husband/father are being kept in the forefront of my prayers.  I can't imagine all the questions going through their minds right now. I pray they have believers surrounding them to encourage them.  

Yesterday in the teen Sunday School class in our study on Job we talked about the importance of having people speak life over us when we are going through trying times.  We must remember that just because someone is a "good" person it doesn't always mean they are "good" for us.  Sometimes as people hear the troubles others are going through the words spoken fuel the fire of a pity train.  Sometimes they pull people further into depression.  Sometimes the words rip open the wound or push the knife in a little further.  None of those words are what is needed for anyone.  Words of life are what are needed no matter what the circumstance might be.  Words of life come from the Lord.  They come from praying in advance for the Lord to direct your words.  Sometimes, though, words aren't even needed...


As a medical chaplain, there are many times when I pray with people but sometimes words aren't needed.  Just being there is enough.  The "ministry of presence" is a big part of what I do.  I am physically and emotionally there with ones hurting.  Many times I have experienced hearing the Lord's voice to share words with ones as they sit at their loved one's death bed.  I am there to comfort them but most importantly I am there to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

I was reading an article the other day about the different things people say when there is a death.  "It will get better in time…"  "You can always marry again…"At least they didn't suffer…"   Sometimes words are meaningless when they need to be encouraging.  The "ministry of presence" is just what the Lord wants of us in some situations.  Some people get uncomfortable in situations and just start talking.  Unfortunately, the words they say are meaningless or can cause more hurt.

I pray for this family who are going through the hurt of this sudden death.  My prayers are that they will have people around them who will love on them and encourage them.  I am reminded of Psalm 42 this morning.  I pray their hope in the Lord would be so very real to them.  I pray they will know He is with them.

Psalm 42

As the deer pants for streams of water,
    so my soul pants for you, my God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
    When can I go and meet with God?
My tears have been my food
    day and night,
while people say to me all day long,
    “Where is your God?”
These things I remember
    as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go to the house of God
    under the protection of the Mighty One
with shouts of joy and praise
    among the festive throng.
Why, my soul, are you downcast?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and my God.
My soul is downcast within me;
    therefore I will remember you
from the land of the Jordan,
    the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.
Deep calls to deep
    in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
    have swept over me.
By day the Lord directs his love,
    at night his song is with me—
    a prayer to the God of my life.
I say to God my Rock,
    “Why have you forgotten me?
Why must I go about mourning,
    oppressed by the enemy?”
10 My bones suffer mortal agony
    as my foes taunt me,
saying to me all day long,
    “Where is your God?”
11 Why, my soul, are you downcast?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and my God.
Dear Jesus,
Enable each and every one of us to know what You desire of us when we are in situations with people going through tough times.  Father, open our ears to You as we seek what You want of us.  Lord, my heart breaks for this wife and her children.  Even though I don't know them, Father, You have put them so heavy on my heart.  I pray they will feel Your loving arms around them Lord.  I pray they will see You through those who minister to them.  Father, open mouths with Your words of life and shut mouths that don't have encouragement flowing from them.  Thank You Jesus for being My Hope.  Amen.

No comments: