Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Psalm 30 - "Blessings"

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit with a family in a tough situation with a loved one.  Today I will be visiting with another family that is dealing with the health of a loved one.  These days are hard for them.  The unknown is probably the worst thing to deal with.  I woke up with "Blessings" on my lips and the tears started flowing.  When a loved one leaves us, we go through so many emotions yet if we are believers and our loved one is a believer we know we will see them again.

We pray for healingWe pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering…We know that pain reminds this heart That this is not, this is not our home...

I know the Lord heals in different ways.  Sometimes He heals instantly.  Sometimes He heals through doctors and medicine.  Sometimes He heals through death.  When we follow the Lord, we have to put our trust in Him and have faith that He will heal in the best manner possible.  That isn't easy to do yet necessary for our healing process.

A webinar I did last night on grief was enlightening.  We can grieve over all sorts of things besides the death of a loved one.  We go through the grieving process when we move, have a change in our physical health, have a change in our financial status, the end of a relationship…all sorts of things.  As I thought about some friends who have been acting different lately, I realized they've been through some of these situations.  

I'm so glad the presenter said that there is no "normal" time or way to mourn.  Everyone is different.  The one thing though that he said that is the most important thing of all in the grieving process is that you do grieve.  You shouldn't bottle it up inside you but need to release it.  
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the achings of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise


The Lord is there for us, every step of the way in the grieving process.  He wants us to lean upon Him for His strength.  The desire of His heart is not that we hurt but that we grow through the hurt.  I love Psalm 30…particularly verses 11-12.  When we mourn and cry out to the Lord, He is there to turn our "…wailing into dancing…"  He is there to turn our sorrow into joy.  He is there to allow us to remember the fond memories of our loved one.
I will exalt you, Lord,
    for you lifted me out of the depths
    and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
Lord my God, I called to you for help,
    and you healed me.
You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
    you spared me from going down to the pit.
Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people;
    praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment,
    but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
    but rejoicing comes in the morning.
When I felt secure, I said,
    “I will never be shaken.”
Lord, when you favored me,
    you made my royal mountain[c] stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
    I was dismayed.
To you, Lord, I called;
    to the Lord I cried for mercy:
“What is gained if I am silenced,
    if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
    Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, Lord, and be merciful to me;
    Lord, be my help.


11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
    you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
    Lord my God, I will praise you forever.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for enabling me to grieve over my Daddy's death in a way that gave me joy.  Thank You for the way You bring him to me in my thoughts and dreams.  Thank You for giving me opportunities to share his story with others who are going through tough days.  Father, today I am praying for so many people who are grieving over situations other than the death of a loved one.  I am praying for…

  • the one who was just diagnosed with cancer
  • the one who is dealing with the diagnosis of diabetes
  • the couple who are separated
  • the couple who are contemplating separation/divorce
  • the one going through testing for health issues
  • the one who lost their job yesterday
  • the family who have "lost" their loved one to Alzheimer's yet care for them daily
Lord, speak to each one of these people.  Enable them to see Your will, Your way for them.  Father, I pray for their loved ones who need to understand they are grieving over their situation.  Give them Your love to shower upon them.  I also pray for those who have lost loved ones.  Father, enable them to grieve in a healthy way.  Enable them to feel Your Presence throughout these tough days. Thank You Jesus for being My Joy.  Amen.

No comments: