Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Psalm 30 - "Blessings"

"Will it ever quit hurting so badly?"
"Can he hear me when I talk to him?"
"Why didn't I get here in time?"
"Does the pain go away?"
"Is it ok to cry?"

These are just some of the tough, tough questions that come at the time of the death of a loved one.  Even though it's been nineteen months since my Daddy went to be with Jesus I still have moments of bursting out in tears when I see his favorite candy.  It's difficult for me to walk into a hospital room with a man who looks like my Daddy.  But I'm so thankful that each and every time I minister to those going through the death of a loved one I am able to grieve a little bit more.  The grieving hasn't stopped but it has softened.  I still catch myself thinking that it's time for my Daddy to call me or thinking I want to call him.  Yes, I miss my Daddy but I am thankful for the way the Lord has healed my heart and continues to do so.  I am grateful that He has given me joy in the memories I have of my Daddy.  As I was talking with a family this morning, I told them the memories of that last phone call or that last visit may not seem like much today but they are a true blessing from the Lord.  He instrumented the timing of their loved one's death in the way He saw fit.  There is nothing anyone on this earth could have done to make it any different.  I am reminded of Psalm 30…

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, Lord,
    for you lifted me out of the depths
    and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
Lord my God, I called to you for help,
    and you healed me.
You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
    you spared me from going down to the pit.
Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people;
    praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment,
    but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
    but rejoicing comes in the morning.
When I felt secure, I said,
    “I will never be shaken.”
Lord, when you favored me,
    you made my royal mountain[c] stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
    I was dismayed.
To you, Lord, I called;
    to the Lord I cried for mercy:
“What is gained if I am silenced,
    if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
    Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, Lord, and be merciful to me;
    Lord, be my help.
11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
    you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
    Lord my God, I will praise you forever.

I absolutely love verses eleven and twelve.  The Lord is the One that sees us through the death of a loved one.  He is the One who turns our "…wailing into dancing…" as we go through the grieving process.  He is the One who gives us joy through memories.  He is the One who hears our cries.  Sometimes those cries are deep from the freshness of our close while other times are cried are deep from the longing we have for our loved one.  

Dear Jesus,
I pray for those who are dealing with the loss of a loved one.  I pray You will comfort them no matter if it has been three hours since their loss or three years.  Lord, give them exactly what they need to get through this day.  Father, I pray for those who need to grieve, to grieve.  I pray for those who need to cry, to cry.  I pray for those who need to question You, to question You.  Lord, draw people closer to You through their pain.  Love on them in such a way that there is no doubt You are with them.  Father, thank You for being with me this morning and giving me Your words.  Father, I know the only way that happened was through me having more of You and less of me.  Lord, thank You for being My Healer.  Amen.


No comments: