Monday, November 17, 2014

Matthew 22:37-40; 6:6; I Thessalonians 5:17 - Prayer

When Jesus was on this earth, He had the opportunity to answer a question by the Pharisees that we, today, need to follow.  It is found in Matthew 22:37-40...

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Many people say we don't follow under the Old Testament so therefore we don't have to follow the Ten Commandments.  If they don't think we should adhere to the Old Testament, I wonder if they believe we should fall under these verses found in the New Testament.  It's interesting that there weren't just ten commandments in the Old Testament but in fact 613!  It's amazing how those 613 can be brought down to these two found in the New Testament.

Another amazing fact is the way 613 corresponds with the number of fringes in a tallit or prayer shawl.  There are 600 fringes in a tallit.  Each of the fringes contains 8 threads and 5 knots making a total of 613.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  Our Lord loves to have significance with numbers.  He also loves to give word pictures.  Yesterday as I saw Doc cover himself with the prayer shawl to tell us the importance of going into our prayer closet to get alone from God I was given the word picture of being separated from the world.  In order for us to truly hear from the Lord, we must have separation from all of the chaos of this world. To take it one step further, I was thinking about how I hear from the Lord even in the chaos but it's because I have separated myself from the world as I live a surrendered life.  I have learned the importance of putting God first and only doing what He directs of me.  I love the idea of spending time alone with the Lord but I also love the idea of hearing His voice even in the chaos of life.

But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.  Matthew 6:6

I also was thinking about the number 613.  Do I pray for that many times or people/situations in a day?  It would be interesting to make a list just to see.  I do follow I Thessalonians 5:17, Pray without ceasing as I go throughout my day.  But I also follow Matthew 6:6 where I have my alone time with the Lord.  I also know I strive to follow Matthew 22:37-40.  I do love the Lord with all of my being and I do love my "neighbor" as my myself.  I also know in order to love my "neighbor" as myself I first must love myself.  That love is not in a boastful way but in a humble way.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the words that flowed from Doc yesterday.  I must admit with my shakie problems in my arms I was a bit distraction but I am grateful for the concentration You gave me to hear what I needed to hear.  Thank You for Marlene who held me.  Thank You for being my strength in the midst of that time. Thank You for the time we had with family for Miss Bella's birthday.  Lord, I pray for more of You and less of me.  That is the only way I will be able to live out Matthew 22:37-40 to its fullness.  I also pray You will remind me of I Thessalonians 5:17 throughout the day ahead.  Father, I'm not sure where You will direct my steps but I pray I will hear Your voice through every minute of my day.  Thank You Jesus for being My Covering.  Amen.

No comments: