Friday, November 14, 2014

Colossians 3:1-17 - "He Knows My Name" & "I Can Only Imagine"

I woke up this morning singing, "I don't need my name in lights…" but that's the only thing I could remember of a song Francesca Battistelli sings.  It's called "He Knows My Name" and the chorus goes like this...

I don't need my name in lights
I'm famous in my Father's eyes
Make no mistake
He knows my name
I'm not living for applause 
I'm already so adored
It's all His stage
He knows my name
He knows my name 


I love another part that goes...

He calls me chosen
Free, forgiven
Wanted, child of the King
His forever
Held and treasured
I am loved

I don't need my name in lights
I'm famous in my Father's eyes

I'm so grateful for the reminder of this song this morning.  Sometimes we all need reminded that we are "…chosen…free, forgiven…wanted, child of the King…"  This world can be hurtful yet the Lord is there to encourage us.  People can be mean and even hateful yet the Lord is there to love on us.  Woo hoo!  

Last night at Mercy's Memorial Service Pastor Trainer talked about Colossians 3:2.  This morning I read Colossians 3:1-17 about "Living as Those Made Alive in Christ."  

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.  Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality,impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised,barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.  12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do,whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Pastor Trainer spoke on how we get so caught up in worrying about things on this earth that really won't matter when we get to heaven.  These words from the Apostle Paul tell us to focus on the Lord instead of earthly things.  We need to live a life of worship to the Lord 24/7 not just when we go into a church building.  How can we do that?  By not following the ways of the world.  We can do it by following verse eight and get rid of "…anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."  Instead we must be filled with "...compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience…forgiveness…love…peace…giving thanks to God…"  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for reminding me that I am chosen.  You chose me when You died on the cross for me.  I am so grateful that I have a life of eternity to look forward to with You.  Living a 24/7 life for You on this earth is rewarding but when I can worship You 24/7 by Your side I can't even imagine what life will be like.  How appropriate for us to sing "I Can Only Imagine" at the service last night.  Thank You Jesus for putting me where You have me at this particular moment in my life.  Thank You for giving me the desire in my heart to live a 24/7 life with You.  Thank You for the day I surrendered everything to You.  Father, I pray for those who haven't done so.  I pray today will be the day for them to come to the end of themselves and cloth themselves with You.  Lord, more of You and less of me is my prayer for this day.  I don't know where You will lead me but I know it will be wherever You desire for me to be a beacon of light for you.  Thank You Jesus for being The One I Look Up To.  Amen.








No comments: