Monday, November 26, 2018

Psalm 91 - "Who You Say I Am"

I came upon a concept that I dearly love as I was reading for school last night. Dr. Butler wrote how we need to have our compass calibrated to true north. These means we are living out life on principles instead of practices. In other words, we live out our "vision, values, principles, conscience" instead of our clock which is our "commitments, appointments, and schedule." God needs to be the 'main thing' in our life and we need to make sure He is where our compass stays aligned to. Dr. Butler gave four principles to live by. They are: live life as a priority; spend time with those who are important so strong relationships are built; keep learning; and leave a legacy for your children, grandchildren, church family, and your community. This information was given in respect to leaders but it is good for all. This morning God took me to Psalm 91. He had me read the entire chapter but then took me back to the very first verse. Living in His presence is where I find peace. It is where I find joy in the midst of the storms. It is where I find strength when the enemy comes fighting. I love how this verse uses the word rest. That is not something easily found in the midst of troubles but it can be when we allow God to be our strength. God also woke me with the song "Who You Say I Am" which touches me immensely. 

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

There is freedom in living in His presence. It is a freedom to know wherever your feet take you or whatever words come from your mouth God is in the midst of it all. When we accept Jesus into our life, we have the knowledge of salvation. But when we die to self and allow Him to be not only our King but our Lord we have the knowledge of His secure arms being wrapped around us in a new way. It is not understood by many but it can be felt by all who will give Him total control of all aspects of life. I use to think it was only about the checkbook but then soon realized it was about the calendar too. Then when I realized it was about every aspect of life I was blessed in abundance. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders of Psalm 91 this morning and for this song. Thank You for the way You wrap Your loving arms around me to make me feel secure. Father, in a world full of turmoil I am blessed by Your peace. Thank You for our time yesterday exploring more of our little world and seeing the beauty of Your creation. I needed that time so much. Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me today with more of You. Thank You for keeping my compass focused on You throughout this day so I do not miss any opportunity You have for me. Thank You for answered prayers. I pray for one for wisdom today as she deals with marital issues; Ellen as she goes into rehab; Mary Ellen as she begins rehab; Billie as she continues battling cancer; pastors who are drained and fighting the urge to write a letter of resignation today; and two friends who are going through some tough days. Lord, may You be their peace in the midst of the storm happening in their life. Thank You for being My True North! Amen.







1 comment:

shayndel said...

The Psalms are so beautiful!
Such a lovely post how God spoke to you through His beautiful word in Psalm 91~!
Shalom and blessings to you!