Thursday, November 29, 2018

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 - "Home"


Dealing with the death of a loved one has so many emotions. There is sadness because they are no longer with us on this earth. Sometimes there is anger because the death was caused by another. There can be joy in knowing you will see your loved one again in heaven. There also can be relief in knowing they are no longer suffering in their physical body. As I listen to my two little guys talk about losing their Mamaw, I am amazed at their words. Yesterday when Mr. Jimmy said how sad he was that she was gone, Mr. Eli said, "Well, you know, everyone is born and everyone has to die." It made me think of Ecclesiastes where we are told that exact thing. God has a time for everything that happens. We never know when a baby will be born even though doctors can give a due date. Miss Aiya's birth in September proved that. When she came four weeks early, she was perfectly healthy. It was God's time for her to be born. Today we are praying for friends who are awaiting his Granny leaving this earth. Yesterday she had a 'good day' with singing, rejoicing, speaking of those who had gone on to heaven, etc. I have been with quite a few people for their last 'good day' and I treasure each experience. It makes me kind of jealous in that they are going to go 'home' and not have to wait any longer to be in the arms of Jesus. When someone we know dies, it definitely helps to know they will spend eternity in heaven. But even with that knowledge there are still tough days where your heart feels like it will break with missing them so greatly. I still have days of crying because I miss my Daddy and he has been gone from this earth for over five years. I also have days where I cry over all the things I didn't get to experience with my sister Naomi. It wasn't fair that she was taken in such a horrible way but I have peace in knowing where she is. I believe God protected her from 'junk' by taking her to be with Him. These words in Ecclesiastes tell us there is "a time to mourn and a time to dance..." (vs. 4). It is ok to cry when we are thinking of our loved ones who have left us. But we can't stay in that place. God needs us to stay in relationship with Him so we will see our loved ones again. There is great debate over what heaven will be like. Will we know our loved ones? We are to have new bodies in heaven so how could we know them? I made a decision a long time ago about heaven. If something is not clearly known from the Bible, I will not spend my time fretting over how it will be. Instead I will think of it in the way I do, ask God to reveal to me anything I need to know, and live for Him. I have seen too many people get caught up in the 'what ifs' or the 'buts' about heaven and miss the whole point of eternal life. Verse six tells us there is "a time to search and a time to give up" and that is exactly what I do when things are not clear. I search for answers and gather the information given. After that if I still am unsure I quit and allow God to work in and through me. Some questions will never be answered on this earth. The question of why someone died, had a disease such as cancer, etc. are ones that we may search for an answer to but most likely will not receive. Today is a new day. For some it will be their last day on this earth. For others it will be the day they receive salvation and be reborn to live for Jesus while on this earth. No one knows what their day holds. Some may have a list in front of them to check off as tasks are accomplished but if God takes them a different direction I pray they will be open to Him. I continue to praise Him for releasing me from having lists. I had lists for my lists. Praise His Holy Name for the freedom I found when He opened my eyes that I was missing what He desired for me because of being tied to my lists. I pray everyday for Him to not allow me to miss any opportunity He puts before me. I could not do that when I was tied to my lists because I was too focused on tasks instead of Him. Just as the boys and I have been discussing we must stay focused on Him. There are times, such as when we lose a loved one, it may become harder to stay focused but we must not allow anything to deter us.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of Ecclesiastes 3 this morning. Father I pray for those who have recently lost a loved one and for those who are now going through seeing one leave this earth. As I think of the holidays, I think of all the happy memories I have with my Daddy. One that comes to my mind was going to Caskey's woods and cutting down a Christmas tree. I could not have been very old yet I have that happy memory. Thank You for all of the memories. Thank You for the knowledge of my Daddy being out of his misery and in Your arms. Father, I pray for those who are having a hard time with the holidays to be blessed with good memories. I also pray for people to draw nearer to You through the tough days of missing their loved ones. Today is a new day. I am a bit overwhelmed with everything that is ahead over these next few days. I am depending upon Your strength not only physically but mentally, emotionally, financially, and most of all spiritually. May You be my words, actions, and attitude every moment of every day. In order for that to happen, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Thank You Jesus for being My Eternal Daddy! Amen.


No comments: