Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Jeremiah 29:11-13

Thirty eight years ago today was chilly day just as it is today. I woke up to thinking I had wet the bed when in fact my water had broke. The next two hours were tense and very painful. We rushed to the hospital knowing our baby boy was standing up instead of in the 'right' position to be born. When the ER nurse did an exam and felt a foot, she screamed "get her upstairs" without any hesitation. They did not want to be responsible for me. We waited and waited for the surgeon to get there. Finally, my doctor (Dr. Bowman) made the decision we had to get into surgery without him. Amazingly, the surgeon walked in the door as we went into surgery. I did not know it at the time but it was pretty serious for both the baby and myself. In fact, they questioned whether we would live. But God had other plans for both of us. Fast forward eleven months and I found us back in a different hospital with our baby boy having a fever over 105 degrees with what we soon found out was viral meningitis. We were there for a very long, tough week. I had to fight to be with him at night. The nurses were anti-breastfeeding and fought me every step of the way with night feedings. The first night I spent in the lobby with my baby boy screaming when he awoke in the 'cage' bed because he was scared. It wasn't that he needed to eat. It was that he needed the security of his mommy. After that night, I told the doctor either make it so I can stay with him 24/7 or send us to a different hospital. From then on I was given a recliner in his room with 24/7 access. The first night I slept in there with him he didn't wake up except when they came in to do his vitals. We were so blessed when he was well enough to go home. Unfortunately, two weeks later we found ourselves in another hospital with him having pneumonia, bronchitis, and croup as an after effect of the meningitis. Thankfully that hospital experience was different. They expected me to be with him. In both situations Paul's Grandma McHenry was with us as much as possible. She was working full-time and taking classes at Akron U but still made time for us. Fast forward sixteen years later to the time Paul got his license. His Grandpa McHenry wanted to give his old car to Paul. I told him absolutely not. We had told Paul he had to buy his own car and pay for his own insurance. I was not a happy camper when my daddy 'sold' it to him for one hundred dollars but was tickled for Paul. Fast forward twenty-one years later when God took us to Willard. Grandma and Grandpa were there once again to support Paul with allowing him to live with them while he finished his degree at Akron U. They spoiled him tremendously but they also taught him so much. Paul had a tough time coming into this world but I find it ironic he came in standing up. He was ready to take on this world. He was ready to excel at his studies, athletics, his jobs, etc. He was not going to allow the world to stop him from doing anything he put his mind to. I prayed for Paul when I was just a little girl. I prayed for God to bless me to be a 'good' mommy and to have 'good' kids. When I was pregnant with him, I prayed for him to be healthy and happy. After the meningitis before his first birthday he had tubes put in his ears as a young boy but was really healthy. We were blessed by good grades, good health, good habits...well maybe that is stretching it because his OCD sometimes was not considered good...lol. I also prayed as a child and again as Paul was growing up for him to find a godly lady to take as his wife. Once again prayers were answered with Paul marrying Lizzy. I love to see them having fun and enjoying life. I love to hear of their experiences at their church. Most of all I love to see the love they give to Miss Bella. My prayers for him to be a good daddy have been answered over and over. My prayers for him to be the leader of his home have also been answered. One of the things I miss the most since Paul left home is the hugs and "I love you" that he never left without giving. Getting a text of "I love you" is wonderful but not quite the same. I am grateful for today's technology to stay in touch but it is just not the same. Paul has left Ohio to move to Philadelphia and Charlotte at different times with his job. Now we are in South Carolina and there are just too many miles between us. As I reflect back on Paul's life and celebrate his thirty-eighth birthday from afar, I am grateful for all the ways God has blessed me through Paul and ask God to bless him in abundance in this year ahead. I know God has great plans for him. He promises that in Jeremiah 29:11-13. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." I am grateful Paul seeks God with all his heart. I am proud of the way he is open about his relationship with God in his workplace. God has truly blessed me with him.

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for the blessings You have given me through my oldest son, Paul. Thank You for blessing him in abundance with his family, a great career, etc. But most of all thank You for blessing him with a relationship with You. May You be brighter in Your light that shines through him today. May he have the desire in his heart to walk in obedience to You. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me today so I can walk in obedience to Your voice. Thank You for all the blessings You have given us throughout the years of Paul's life. Thank You for being Our Heavenly Father! Amen.

2 comments:

Aritha said...

So beautiful to read. You are blessed!

My Strength said...

Thank you!