Monday, November 5, 2018

John 8:36 - "Who You Say I Am"


I read an email yesterday morning before church that I wish I wouldn't of. It was discouraging with a tone of negativeness that hurt. The words were mean. I prayed for God to take it out of my mind as we left for church. I asked Him to be with the one who wrote it. I've always heard 'hurting people hurt people' and this person obviously is hurting. Our Sunday School lesson was about sanctification and Doc's sermon was about persecution. During Sunday School I thought of how the person who wrote this claims to be sanctified fully. I am not being judgmental but I believe if she wrote the words intentionally to hurt me she could not be. Then I thought about how when we verbally say words they can sometimes come out differently than what we mean but when we write them there is no doubt the meaning behind them. During church when Doc was talking about persecution I thought about the missionary family who had their husband and father killed this week. A wife and family of eight children left behind on this earth because their family is Christian. That is persecution. The email I received was not persecution. It was just the enemy working through another person to tear me down. As I continue to say, my God is greater! I am grateful that He turned my hurt into praying for the one who wrote it. I also am grateful for His loving arms that I felt around as I was reading it. God is so awesome in the way He encourages us. Throughout the night I had the words to "Who You Say I Am" going through my mind every time I woke. No one else has the authority to say who we are except God. There is no one on this earth who has the power to put words upon our lives. God is the only One with such authority. This is important to remember as we go through life with so many people's opinions about us being said.

In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes, I am


These words give me hope for my future. They give me comfort in times where I feel like I can't go on. They give me assurance of His eternal love for me.

I am chosen
Not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me
Not against me
I am who You say I am

There is so much comfort in knowing God is with me at all times. Yesterday I wrote about how I was questioning myself and God reassured me that as I walk the road of obedience to His will it is 'enough.' One of the ladies that went to retreat wrote they learned they are 'enough.' With this word coming up twice in the same day I think I need to ponder upon it a bit. The dictionary definition of the word is "as much or as many as required." Woo hoo! Whatever God puts before me is what is required. Therefore, as long as I am walking in His will and following His desires, I am enough. Yes! I am enough! What a freeing thought to realize! I worked hard at Christian Preaching II yet I never felt like I was 'enough' for the professor. It took me twelve weeks to finally realize I don't have to be 'enough' for her or anyone else in life. I just have to be 'enough' for God. Praise His Holy Name for finally understanding this!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the revelation that I am 'enough.' Thank You for the love You poured down upon me yesterday with the email I received. Thank You for cleansing me today so I can be filled with more of You so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. Father, I pray for those who are hurting to receive Your love to heal from their hurts. I also pray You will make me more aware of those around me who are hurting so I can love on them with Your love. I continue to pray for healing in Ellen's body as she fights back from surgery and for Roxanne as she fights her battles. Lord, be greater than the things before these ladies. Thank You Jesus for being My Father. Amen.

No comments: