Thursday, November 9, 2017

Isaiah 55:8-13 - "Our God"

I was talking to a young mother yesterday at the store about how we teach our children to not talk to strangers yet when someone says something to them we tell them to say 'thank you'! She shared that she doesn't know how she should teach her little guy about it. She doesn't want to confuse him. I reflected back on that conversation this morning as I thought about another conversation I had last night with a mother of an adult son. He is reading his Bible for the first time in years. He appears to be confused on some things yet does not see the confusion. One of the things is the Trinity. This can be a difficult subject to explain to one of any age. I have heard different ways for the Trinity to be explained but in the end when the Lord wants to 'turn the light bulb on' so to speak, He will. He created us with a brain and gives us the desire to learn with it. He also reveals things to us as He desires. Sometimes that means something such as the Trinity is understood right away and other times it takes awhile. I am praying for this young man as he seeks more knowledge from the Bible. I pray he will get to the point where he understands God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are three in one. All three are equal, eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and unchanging but they all function differently. All three are fully God.

  • God the Father - John 6:27
  • God the Son - John 1:1; Hebrews 1:8; Matthew 22:18; Matthew 14:33; John 9:38
  • God the Holy Spirit - Acts 4:10; Romans 8:11; Galatians 4:4-5; John 6:37-38; John 14:26; John 16:8; Romans 1:19-20

There is one God who functions in three persons. Each of those persons has a different way to minister to all. God the Father created us. God the Son saved us. God the Holy Spirit convicts us. God is revealed through the Son and experienced through the Holy Spirit. We see God the Father and His salvation through God the Son. We then experience life by faith through the indwelling of God the Holy Spirit. One person, three functions. The Trinity is not something understood until God reveals it to someone. John Wesley said, "Bring me a worm that can comprehend a man, and then I will show you a man that can comprehend the triune God." If or when we don't understand something in the Bible, we should not be bothered by it. God will reveal things to us in His time. Moses wrote in Deuteronomy 29:29, "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law." The understanding of some things are kept 'secret' from us until God knows we are ready to comprehend them. We cannot manipulate circumstances to make God's time happen sooner. Instead we need to pray for revelation in His time. When we see people struggling with God, we need to pray for the Holy Spirit to convict them. We should not push them but instead love on them as God works on them. We, as humans and especially as parents, tend to want to fix things. That is not a bad attribute but we must remember the fixing must come in His time. Sometimes the 'light bulb comes on' through Scripture, someone's words, lyrics in a song, etc. I was thinking of the opening words of "Our God" that Chris Tomlin sings...

Water, You turned into wine
Opened the eyes of the blind


The song is about God the Father. These words are about what we read about in the Gospels of what God the Son did while on this earth. It pulls the different aspects of God together in a way that makes sense to some while others are still waiting to have their 'lightbulb come on.'


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the encounters I had with different ones yesterday. Thank You for the discussion I had with my little guys about You. Thank You for the prayers they said after our 'activity time.' I love seeing the 'lightbulb come on' in their little minds. Eli gets so excited when that happens..."Miss Sheila, Miss Sheila..." You bless me in abundance through them. Thank You for the opportunities in the day ahead for me to be You to others. I pray this morning for Your strength to be Doc's strength today...not just physically but emotionally, mentally and most of all spiritually. May he feel You in a great way. I also pray for my friend having foot surgery this afternoon. May she feel Your presence in a great way. My prayers continue for the little guy born this week who was transferred to Akron Children's. I pray his counts will lower and You will be his family's strength. I pray for the birth of Mr. Weston to be blessed with Your peace and strength. Lord, be so real to all of these ones I have mentioned. May You cleanse me so I can be empowered by Your strength to do what You desire of me. Thank You Jesus for being My God. Amen.

No comments: