Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 - "Save A Place"



Death brings on so many emotions. Sadness, hopelessness, anger, relief if a loved one is suffering, devastation...the list goes on and on. If the person is younger, it seems to be harder than if they have lived a long life. If the death is an accident, there are so many questions that come into play. If it is sudden, sometimes it seems to be harder than if one dies after a long battle of disease. If the person who dies is a believer, it can be easier to take because we know we will see them again if we are a believer. If they are not a believer, we wonder if at the last moment they cried out to God. No matter what the circumstances, there always seem to be questions. It seems there are more questions when the death is due to a suicide. One beats themselves up asking 'What could I have done to prevent it?' One wonders what would make someone feel so low they would take their own life, especially if they have the Hope of Christ. The question of 'How can this happen if they are a believer?' is one that will never be answered on this earth. There will be assumptions made that may or may not be correct. There will answers given that may or may not apply to the situation. I pondered Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 as I prayed this morning for people who are grieving over the loss of loved ones. "A time..." could also be called a season. There are different seasons in life. Spring represents newness, birth. The springtime of life can be considered birth through adolescence. Summer represents young adulthood while fall represents middle age. Winter represents the end of life at old age. It is so hard to see one die but it is really hard to understand when they die before the winter season of life. There are no answers on this earth for such deaths but once again if we have the Hope of Christ in us He will be our strength in getting through such times. This morning as I prayed for those who have lost loved ones not in the winter season of life I prayed...

  • they would hold Philippians 4:13 close to their hearts knowing He is their strength. 
  • they would hold James 1:2-4 close knowing His joy will enable them to get through the tough days.
  • II Timothy 1:7 would knock the enemy down when he comes knocking at their door.
  • Jeremiah 29:11 would be in the forefront of their minds in the tough days ahead.
  • His comfort and peace to be over them in the midst of their great loss.


A couple weeks ago I was reminded of my dear sister who was taken from this earth in the 'early summer' of her life. The question of 'why?' still remains but with the passing of forty-five years the pain has lessened. That does not mean I love her any less but it means I don't have to have the answer to her death. The first holiday season without my brother is drawing near. I am grateful for the video Ben took last Christmas that included him talking to me. The pain is raw in knowing he will not be with us this year yet the knowledge he is with the Lord is comforting. I pray families who are going through 'first' holiday seasons have the Lord's comfort as they reflect back on the memories with their loved one.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for waking me early to pray for so many who are hurting. Some of them lost loved ones long ago while others have a recent loss. No matter what the timing, the hurt is still in their hearts. No matter what the circumstances, the loss is with them every day. Father, may they have You as their Hope in a mighty way as they continue the grieving process. May they be surrounded by people who will encourage them with Your love. May they realize they may never have answers while on this earth but You still can be their Comforter. Father, I miss my time as Medical Chaplain where I was given many opportunities to comfort those who lost loved ones. Sometimes I feel like I am worthless because I am not in a place where I am doing that regularly. I pray for more opportunities to be You to others. Make me a vessel to be used in mighty ways through Your supernatural power. Thank You Jesus for being My Cup Filler! Amen.

No comments: