Tuesday, November 7, 2017

I John 1:5-10 - "Wonder"


I woke up to the song "Wonder" going through my mind. Specifically these words...

I see the world in light
I see the world in wonder
I see the world in life
Bursting in living colour
I see the world Your way
And I'm walking in the light


My world has changed so much over the years in so many different ways. One of the greatest changes came with our move to South Carolina seventeen months ago. Leaving friends and family to come to a place where the only people we knew were the ones we met briefly at a meet-and-greet with board members was tough. Thankfully I love people so it wasn't as hard for me to adjust as it would be for someone who struggles in that area. It also helps that I strive to live in the Lord's presence. He enables me to do what He desires of me. He takes me to people He desires me to love on with His love. Unfortunately this morning I am feeling 'icky'...'ugly'...far away from feeling like I can love anyone. I cried out to Him and asked Him to give me an attitude adjustment. He brought to my mind Doc's sermon last Sunday about having an "Attitude of Gratitude." I am so thankful for all the Lord does for me and through me. I also am thankful for the people He puts in my life and the opportunities He gives for me to love on them. Some days, like today, seem hard but I know He loves me and will fill me up with more of Him so He will flow out of me. I truly want to sing and mean "I'm walking in the light." He directed me to read I John 1. It is a message from the Lord we all need to embrace. This world is full of ugliness. When we allow that ugliness to become a part of us, we can no longer walk in the Light. We begin to feel ugly ourselves. Taking people's words wrong, being hurt over things that may not have been done intentionally to hurt you, feeling unappreciated...these are all things the enemy tries to use to pull us into darkness. The Lord desires to be the Only One we are under authority to. He desires to love us through tough times to take us deeper in our faith. This chapter tells us the way to live a holy life is to first repent of our sins. Anything sinful in our being is a deterrent from having a full relationship with God. My attitude this morning is a sin. I cannot show God's love with this attitude. I need cleansed from it which is easier said than done. I need to put behind me things of the past and look to the future. Today is a new day. People may do and say things that hurt me but God is bigger than those hurts. There is a promise in verses eight through ten of this chapter. We are told when we repent, He will forgive and forget. I like how Matthew Henry puts it, "Let us plead guilty before God, be humble, and willing to know the worst of our case. Let us honestly confess all our sins in their full extent, relying wholly on his mercy and truth through the righteousness of Christ, for a free and full forgiveness, and our deliverance from the power and practice of sin." Sin does not have to have a hold on us. The blood of Jesus that was shed on the cross took care of our sins. Praise His Holy Name! Today is a new day where I can truly say "I'm walking in the light." The circumstances/people who put me into needing an attitude adjustment are still there but the sin of my ugliness is gone. Praise God! I love these words...

I see the world in grace
I see the world in gospel
I see the world Your way
And I'm walking in the light


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace. Thank You for forgiving me for my nasty attitude and filling me up with Your Holy Spirit. A large burden has been lifted. I pray for wisdom if/when the time comes to say something on my heart. I also pray for more of Your attribute of grace to be in me. Lord, I need Your physical, mental, emotional and most of all spiritual strength to flow in and through me today. May people see/hear You instead of me today. Thank You Jesus for being My Light! Amen.

No comments: