Monday, September 2, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 23; Proverbs 3:5-6; Philippians 4:4-7 - "I Am Not Alone"


I love to preach but I don't love that many times when I get to preach it is because Doc is having physical issues. Yesterday as I dropped him off at the ER before going to church my heart broke. We are normally together for such things but we had responsibilities at church. As my mind started wandering on the 'what ifs' and 'why?' aspects of the situation, God gave me a sermon. I already had a sermon prepared since I knew earlier in the week I would be preaching with Doc was in pain from a blood clot. But when He spoke, I listened. He had me preach about Psalm 23. I use to think of it as a 'funeral Scripture' but over the last couple of years have realized it is not just for funerals. There are seventeen promises found in these six verses. We need to claim each and every one of them.

1) “The Lord is my Shepherd = That's Relationship!
2) I shall not want = That's Supply!
3) He maketh me to lie down in green pastures = That's Rest!
4) He leadeth me beside the still waters = That's Refreshment!
5) He restoreth my soul = That's Healing!
6) He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness = That's Guidance!
7) For His name sake = That's Purpose!
8) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death = That's Testing!
9) I will fear no evil = That's Protection!
10) For Thou art with me = That's Faithfulness!
11) Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me = That's Discipline!
12) Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies = That's Hope!
13) Thou anointest my head with oil = That's Consecration!
14) My cup runneth over = That's Abundance!
15) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life = That's Blessing!
16) And I will dwell in the house of the Lord = That's Security!
17) Forever” = That's Eternity!

The only way to be able to claim these promises is to trust God with our whole being. We must stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in order to trust God in the way He desires. Proverbs 3:5-6 reads, Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will set your path straight. Woo hoo! That is the way I desire to live. Trusting Him is the only way to have His peace in the midst of the storms of life. The peace Paul speaks of in Philippians 4:4-7 is only found when we fully trust God. As we rejoice in Him, He will strengthen our faith. As we allow Him to take care of the storms that come our way, He will give us peace that makes no sense. Paul's words are full of wisdom and encouragement of how to live a life for God.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

This is exactly how I want to live. I do not want to live in fear but desire to stand upon II Timothy 1:7. I do not want to have people see me scared but instead want them to see God's empowerment over me. I do not want to ever let God down but want Him to be proud of me. The only way to live such a life is to be sanctified so He is in control and I walk in obedience to Him. I do not ever have to think I am alone on this journey of life. He is always with me. Kari Jobe's song "I Am Not Alone" is so special to my heart.

When I walk through deep waters
I know that you will be with me
When I'm standing in the fire
I will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadow
Oh I will not fear
I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me

Yes! I am never alone. God is always with me. I honestly do not know how people survive the storms of life without Him. The storm with Doc's health is taking a toll on both of us. Now with Hurricane Dorian we will not have CT scan results Wednesday. We've been counting the days for those results yet that is not to be. We must continue to stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in knowing God empowers us to not only face these storms but to stand firm in our faith through them. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the promises of Psalm 23 that I am standing on! Thank You for the strength I find in standing on II Timothy 1:7! Thank You for the encouragement I receive from standing on Proverbs 3:5-6! Thank You for the peace I receive as I stand upon Philippians 4:4-7! Lord, cleanse me this morning so You can fill me with more of You. May You be greater than anything that comes my way! Thank You for Doc not having another blood clot and the first one shrinking! Thank You for speaking through me yesterday when I preached! Thank You for giving wisdom with Hurricane Dorian! Father, my heart breaks as I see the videos of devastation this storm has brought down upon Your creation. May You be close to all in its path. Lord, I continue to pray for my Momma with pain from her broken arm. Thank You for those who have gpne to see her, taken her food, etc. I pray she will continue to feel Your love through others. Thank You for those who will help us today in getting the boards up over the windows; those who contacted us to see if we needed help both physically and financially; and for Your peace in the midst of this chaos. Lord, continue to give us Your wisdom with all decisions that must be made. I pray for all in the path of Dorian to seek You. I am so grateful You are in our life and cannot imagine life without You. Thank You Jesus for being Our Storm Peace! Amen.

No comments: