Sunday, September 22, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Matthew 22:36-40 - "Dead Man Walking"



Before I went to sleep and then again each time I woke up I prayed for pastors. Saturday nights are special with these times of prayers. Sometimes God wakes me with specific ones in my prayers and other times it is for pastors in general. Last night was for one specific pastor who is no longer in the pulpit yet continues to have the desire on his heart to be living out the call God has placed on his life. God had me pray that he would realize this is just a season he is living and that he should not get too comfortable in it because he would be back in the pulpit again. He also had me pray for pastors in general to not become too comfortable in their present place of ministry. If they do not listen to Him and go the direction He directs, there will be consequences that will cause great pain. He will pour 'tough love' down over them in a way that will make them realize they are not in control but He is. This morning as I thought about the way He had me pray it made me pray for more pastors to realize the calling upon their life. I prayed for more pastors to die to self so God could work in and through them in a new, different way. I pray for pastors spouses and children to see a difference in them so they would respect them more. If we, as pastors, do not show God respect, the people around us won't either. If we do not love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength and our neighbor as ourselves (Matthew 22:36-40), those around us won't either. We are being watched at all time by others but more importantly God is watching us. We should strive to not hurt Him with our actions, words, or attitude. Instead we should strive to please Him. We also should strive to live out a life of love for Him. As we do, others will have the desire to live the same type of life. Every time I was awake during the night and then again this morning I had the words to Dead Man Walking going through my mind. If we want for people to experience being alive in Christ, we have to share Him. If we desire for people to accept His love into their life, we have to live out His love. God calls everyone to share His love but He gives pastors a special calling on their life. He not only gives a special calling but He provides exactly what is needed to fulfill that calling. All we have to do is die to self so we can accept His empowerment to live out our calling. I desire to have people be able to sing these words...

I look for the words but cannot explain
A new kind of love ran into my veins
You are the key to all of my chains
To all that I was now I'm not a slave
Then You rescued me
And now I can breathe

I was a dead man walking
Until I was a man walking with You
I was a blind man falling
Until I felt the life You're calling me to
Pulling me out of the darkness
Pulling me out of the lies
Putting the beat in my heart again
I was a dead man walking
Until You loved this dead man walking back to life

Yes! I desire to see people rise out of sin into a life of freedom in Christ. I desire to see people not only accept Him as their Savior but to accept Him as the Lord of Lords and King of Kings of their heart. Woo hoo! The only way people will see me living in the manner He has called me to live is by me living a II Timothy 1:7 type of life. I need to stand firm in His love and empowerment. I need to not allow the enemy an open door by being fearful of anything that comes my way. Last night as we celebrated 'us' there were a couple times where the thought of 'What if this is our last anniversary to celebrate? What if Doc's cancer takes him from me? What if...' Every time those thoughts came into my mind I prayed for God to take them away. I will not live in the 'what ifs' but instead will live in what I know to be true. God. He knows the days we all have on this earth. We do not have to fret over such things. Instead we need to live each day to the fullest. If we allow the enemy to pull us down into negative thinking, he will take us deep into the pits of hell. Every moment we have on this earth is a gift and God desires for us to open that gift. He desires for all, whether we are dealing with disease or not, to live for Him. He desires us all to experience life not only while on this earth but also for eternity with Him in heaven.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the privilege to pray for pastors during the night! Thank You especially for the privilege to pray for one out of the pulpit! Thank You for the time we had together to celebrate 'us' last night! Thank You for the encouragement You gave to me when the enemy tried to pull me down! Thank You for Doc! I pray he will experience a supernatural strength as he preaches today. I pray for You to work in and through him. I continue to pray for healing in his body. Lord, I pray for us to have more anniversaries while on this earth. I pray for not only physical healing in our bodies but most importantly for Your touch on our spiritual beings. Cleanse us so You can fill us. Empower us so more people will come alive in You. I pray for Don as he installed in the Westlake Church today. May You continue to bless his ministry. I also pray for Cora as her Momma left this earth this week. Give her strength as she ministers. Lord, there are many pastors and families who continue to go through 'tough days' and need to feel Your love so very much. I pray for Steve, Peggy and their family; Shirley; two pastors who are dealing with cancer in their bodies; and so many others. Lord, be near to all. Empower all. Love on all. Thank You Jesus for being My Empowerment! Amen.

No comments: