Thursday, September 12, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Psalm 23 - "Even Then"


I woke up during the night and again this morning with the words to a song Micah Tyler sings called Even Then going through my mind.

Even when it feels like my world is shaken
Even when I've had all that I can take
I know
You never let me go
And even when the waters won't stop rising
Even when I'm caught in the dead of a night
I know
No matter how it ends
You're with me even then


This is the way I feel right now with Doc's health. The diagnosis of pancreatic cancer rocked our world four months ago. We knew there was something not right in his body but we sure never expected it to be this. The chemo brought him down in not only the physical sense but also the mental and emotional sense. It has been nice to see him feeling stronger and being able to function better. We are devastated with the news of going back on the chemo. The question of if it's worth it or not is being asked. Which is better, quantity of quality of life? The words to this song comfort me this morning. God is with us through all of this. He is with us even when we feel like we can't take anything more. He is with us in the decision-making and when life becomes overwhelming. The song continues...

And even in the middle of a struggle
And even when it's hard to remember
You alone are my defense when
I'm standing on Your promises and I know
That even in the thick of the battle
And even through the valley of the shadows
You alone are my defense when
I'm standing on Your promises


Yes! We must continue to stand on His promises. I am reminded this morning of the seventeen promises found in Psalm 23. I want to be intentional in standing on these promises during these 'tough days'!

1) The Lord is my Shepherd = That's Relationship!
2) I shall not want = That's Supply!
3) He maketh me to lie down in green pastures = That's Rest!
4) He leadeth me beside the still waters = That's Refreshment!
5) He restoreth my soul = That's Healing!
6) He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness = That's Guidance!
7) For His name sake = That's Purpose!
8) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death = That's Testing!
9) I will fear no evil = That's Protection!
10) For Thou art with me = That's Faithfulness!
11) Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me = That's Discipline!
12) Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies = That's Hope!
13) Thou anointest my head with oil = That's Consecration!
14) My cup runneth over = That's Abundance!
15) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life = That's Blessing!
16) And I will dwell in the house of the Lord = That's Security!
17) Forever = That's Eternity!

Matthew Henry writes about this Psalm:

"The Lord gives quiet and contentment in the mind, whatever the lot is. Are we blessed with the green pastures of the ordinances, let us not think it enough to pass through them, but let us abide in them. The consolations of the Holy Spirit are the still waters by which the saints are led; the streams which flow from the Fountain of living waters. Those only are led by the still waters of comfort, who walk in the paths of righteousness. The way of duty is the truly pleasant way. The work of righteousness in peace. In these paths we cannot walk, unless God lead us into them, and lead us on in them. The Lord's people feast at his table, upon the provisions of his love. Satan and wicked men are not able to destroy their comforts, while they are anointed with the Holy Spirit, and drink of the cup of salvation which is ever full. Past experience teaches believers to trust that the goodness and mercy of God will follow them all the days of their lives, and it is their desire and determination, to seek their happiness in the service of God here, and they hope to enjoy his love for ever in heaven. While here, the Lord can make any situation pleasant, by the anointing of his Spirit and the joys of his salvation. But those that would be satisfied with the blessings of his house, must keep close to the duties of it."

The only way to be able to claim these promises is to trust God with our whole being. We must stand upon II Timothy 1:7 in order to trust God in the way He desires. That is the way I desire to live. Henry wrote of being anointed by the Holy Spirit. II Timothy 1:7 tells us we do not have to fear anything but instead stand in His love. This will empower us to love with His love through the Holy Spirit. As humans, our faith will waver but we must never allow the enemy to take our faith away. God is always with us and we must lean into Him more as we trust Him more. We must live in His presence so we can not only hear His voice but walk in obedience to Him. No matter what is ahead in the days to come I will stand on the promise that He will be with us Even Then

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of the promises Psalm 23 gives! Thank You for reiterating with me the need to live out a II Timothy 1:7 type of life! Thank You for being with us no matter what happens! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me with more of Your Holy Spirit. I desire to have Your words, actions, and attitude flow throughout me today. I pray for Doc to be encouraged by You today and also for an appointment to be secured with the doctor in Charleston. Lord, Your will is what we seek. I continue to pray for a complete healing in him. I see this last revelation of the chemo not shrinking the tumor to be just another way You are going to be glorified. Open doors that need opened for this to happen. Father, I pray for doors to be shut that need shut in the days ahead; Your wisdom to be increased in us as decisions are made; and for You to flow out of us in a new, different way. Father, You know of so many I am praying for with physical, emotional, financial, and most of all spiritual needs. May You be greater in their lives. I continue to pray for healing in my Momma with her broken arm and ask that Your presence stay near her in these tough days. Lord, I pray for Your strength to be her strength. I pray the same for Doc and I. Thank You Jesus for being Our Even Then! Amen.

No comments: