Monday, December 17, 2018

Romans 15:13 - "There's No Place Like Home"


I woke up during the night and again this morning with the words to a Christmas song that has been with me the last few weeks. I have shed many tears throughout these weeks every time I hear it.

Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays
'Cause no matter how far away you roam
If you want to be happy in a million ways
For the holidays, you can't beat home, sweet home


There are so many sayings about 'home' like 'home is where your heart is' or 'all hearts come home for Christmas.' In fact, I have a picture with that last one that I use to love putting up when we lived closer to family but now I just want to get rid of it. It is so hard to be away from family but especially hard at Christmas. You would think with this being the third Christmas I would be use to it. I guess when you have fifty-four Christmas' with them it is just not that easy. I know I am one of many away from family and I also know I need to not be so emotional about it. But that is easier said than done. This morning I will choose to think of others who are not at 'home' with loved ones so I am praying for...
  • those with loved ones in the military who are deployed, in boot camp, or in another part of the world...Debbie, Chris & Lori, Heather and I'm sure many others I can't think of right now
  • those who have had loved ones leave this earth over the last year...Peggy, the Neiderhiser family, Raymond, Tami, Mary, Debbie, and so many more
  • those with family members with Alzheimer's who are still here physically but no longer may be mentally with them or at least not all the time...Nada, Karen, Bonnie, and many others
I am thankful for my Heavenly Father's arms I feel around me when I am emotional. I also am thankful for words of friends and even strangers that encourage me when I fall to pieces like in the jewelry store last week. God is so good at giving us exactly what we need, when we need it. The jeweler's words of encouragement will always be remembered. I need to remember to be ready to encourage others with my words, especially during this holiday season. There are many hurting people in this world who need to feel the Heavenly Father's arms around them. They need to have His peace that is unknown to this world. They need to have hope which only comes from a relationship with Christ. They need to have joy in their hearts that only He can provide. 'Stuff' comes in many different forms under the Christmas tree but His presence is the best present of all.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of the pictures from three years ago from Christmas with Ben and his family waking up in our home for Christmas. Oh the joy of that time! I am so grateful for the memories You gave me this morning through these pictures. Father, my heart aches to be with my family. I know You already know that and I also know You have us where we are suppose to be. But I still long to see them. Lord, I need a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me with more of You to get through this day. I need to be encouraged throughout this day in whatever manner You desire. I don't want to be sad but instead want to be joyful. May it be so. Thank You for being My Heavenly Father! Amen.

No comments: