Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Jeremiah 29:11-12 - "Frosty the Snowman"


Today is my 'baby's' birthday! Woo hoo! Thirty-four years old! Wow! I wish I could sit down with him over a cup of coffee and reminisce about things that have happened over the last thirty-four years. His Grandma McHenry spoiled him from the time he could ask for coffee with letting him have 'just a little bit.' He use to be told it would stunt his growth but obviously that didn't happen with him ending up at six foot five! If we were at his house, our conversation would be interrupted multiple times (which I would enjoy) with his five children playing. I will never forget the day he walked out from his first, Miss Evelyn, being born. The look on his face was priceless. My 'baby' was Daddy to his first baby. It did not seem possible. As I've watched his children growing up, I have seen their love for reading just as their Daddy had at their age. He loved going to the library for Story Hour as a little guy. Maybe it was in books that he found his imagination. He would do or say something and tell us his 'puter' told him to. When we asked where it was, he would point to his forehead. His imagination also was working as he built 'New York City' with his legos at around age three or four. He had never been to a large city at that point in life yet he knew New York City had skyscrapers. Maybe I would tell him the story of what he did to scare us at eighteen months old. One minute he was out playing in the backyard with Paul and the next he was gone. We searched for forty-five minutes in and outside. We saw a tractor back in the field and was just getting ready to go see if he had walked out to it when we heard a giggle. The little burger had slithered in between the mattress and couch on the pull-out couch in the basement and stayed hidden that entire time. I told him if I wasn't so glad to see him I would spank him. I felt the same way when he was in sixth grade and wanted to go to the movies on the last day of school but his Dad and I told him no. When he didn't come home on the bus as he was suppose to, wasn't at the Boys and Girls Club, and wasn't at the school we were scared to death but soon realized he had disobeyed us. When he was growing up, I prayed for him to have children who wouldn't sleep or eat as he did as a young child. But I also prayed for him to have a godly wife. My prayers were answered with Emily but his children don't have any problem eating and I don't think with sleeping either. I guess God knew Emily needed to have good children since there are five of them! I love to see the principles they are instilling in their children. Miss Evelyn at age eight having a prayer ministry in the church blessed my heart. Her raising money for her violin lessons by making scripture pictures also blessed me. At probably her age, he was picking up cigarette butts at the campground for a penny a piece to make some money. He also went with Grandma to help set-up at the Free Store and would proudly walk in with a box of groceries for his work. At that point in time, money was tight and he knew we could use them. His compassionate heart showed through in so many ways growing up. Now with being the head of Family Promise I see him continuing to show compassion. What a blessing to know he is walking in the footsteps of those before him. He was raised in a home with a non-profit organization. He knew the phone could ring at any time and it was someone in need with the Kidney Foundation having our phone number. He also lived in a parsonage for a couple years so he knew the phone ringing in the middle of the night usually meant someone in need. I was so proud as I watched him be ordained and then installed into two different churches. Our move to South Carolina was delayed by a week and we were bummed. But when we went to see Ben's family one more time God blessed us with hearing him preach. Then my trip up for Linda and Junior's anniversary party that summer he preached again. Wow, God! I love to hear him preach. I know God has gifted him in this area. Our time of reminiscing would be fun. There may be some tears shed as I have done as I have thought about these things. I miss my family so much and it is so hard to be so far away from them but I continue to rely on God for His strength. Many times I feel like my heart is breaking because I cannot be there but just as Ben relies on Jeremiah 29:11-12, so will I. This verse saw us through him being healed in the womb from having an open spine and then as a teenager being healed from rheumatoid arthritis. It saw us through him 'knowing' he was going to be a meteorologist to God calling him into ministry. God had bigger plans for him and he is walking in obedience to Him. Praise His Holy Name! This morning as I think about how much Ben loves snow (he even prayed for it one Mother's Day!) I thought it was appropriate to sing "Frosty the Snowman"! Oh how he loved building snowmen as a child and enjoys building them with his own children now!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for my 'baby' who is celebrating his birthday today. Thank You for the way You continue to work in and through him. He makes me so proud. I pray for his day to be a day of celebration and the year ahead to be one full of You. Bless him, Emily, Miss Evelyn, Mr Beckett, Miss Annabel, Miss Clementine, and Mr Weston in abundance. May You continue to be the Leader of their home. Father, I pray blessings upon our home too. May You cleanse us so You can fill us to overflowing with more of You. May You be greater than anything in our lives. Thank You Jesus for being Our Leader. Amen.

No comments: