Thursday, December 13, 2018

Luke 1-2 - "Mary Did You Know?"



I enjoyed last night's study on prophecies about the birth of Jesus, especially pondering upon how Elisabeth and Mary both had the Holy Spirit in them as they met in Luke 1. Elisabeth's proclamation of Mary carrying the Messiah in verse forty-two was one of great prophecy. Mary had already heard these words from the Angel Gabriel (vs 26-38). I can't begin to imagine how she felt to have this confirmed. Verses forty-six through fifty-six was the song Mary sang after her aunt's declaration. This song shows the depth of Mary's adoration toward God. No one can begin to understand what a thirteen year old girl would be thinking at this point. Thirteen year old girls now would have probably freaked out. I don't know any thirteen year olds that have this deep of a relationship with God. To think about Mary's faith in God one has to wonder how could it have been this way? They did not have Bibles to read to grow their faith. How could she have been so obedient? If she was that obedient then, shouldn't it be more possible now for us to be obedient with all of the 'tools' we have to dig deeper in our faith? We look back to Isaiah 7:14 and see how the prophecy of a virgin birthing the Messiah was fulfilled. A virgin. How did Mary explain her situation to Joseph and her family? As I read Luke 1:38 I see great courage in this young girl who was an obedient servant. She had some fear yet she walked in obedience. She is an example for all to follow as a believer and also as a mother. She was the only person that was present for His first breath and for His last breath. I can't imagine the emotions she went through at either of these events. I also can't imagine the emotions she went through as a mother with her son being chosen as the Messiah. Mary's devotion to God showed through in her song. This song shows, as a Jew, she knew the prophecy about her. Her song sounds a lot like Hannah's prayer in I Samuel 2:1-10. In verses fifty-four and fifty-five of Luke 1 it reads, "He has helped his servant Israel and remembered to be merciful. For he made this promise to our ancestors, to Abraham and his children forever." Mary knew the importance of her answer 'yes' to what God was calling her to do and walked in obedience as she worshiped Him. Mary was just an ordinary girl who God chose to be the mother of Jesus. It makes me wonder what things God is calling me to do that could be life changing not only for myself but for others. When I question my call to preach, I am not doubting Him. I just am asking how it can be, how it will work out, in what setting, when, etc. I want to be an obedient servant just as Mary. In the song "Mary Did You Know?" there are many questions about whether Mary knew or not the greatness her son would have. After hearing last night about how Mary knew the prophecy from the Old Testament I believe Mary did know more than we can ever imagine. Oh how I love our Wednesday night study.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with the "Giving Project" and last night's study. Father, may You continue to bless my efforts to share Your love. May You cleanse me today so You can fill me. I pray for more of You and less of me. I pray for an abundance of Your physical, mental, emotional, financial and most of all spiritual strength throughout this day. Father, go before me with the situation this afternoon that can be so trying. May Your will be that it go smoothly with little resistance. I pray for the momma who drowned her babies to receive the help she desperately needs. I pray there will be people put in her path to be You to her. I also pray for family members who were hospitalized yesterday and those going through treatments to have people caring for them who are in relationship with You. I pray they will have a gentle touch with them. Continue to strengthen Ms. Paula from her fall and Ms. Nancy with her wrist. Thank You Jesus for being My Messiah! Amen.

No comments: