Saturday, December 22, 2018

Matthew 1:23 - "My Grown-up Christmas List"



The last Saturday before Christmas...only three more days before the 'big' day. There are many who it won't be such a 'big' day for due to financial issues, having to work, not being with family, etc. Some will have their 'big' day another time, some it will be just another day with nothing to celebrate. Everyone has something to celebrate at Christmas when they are in relationship with the Lord. No matter if there is no food on the table and you go to a free dinner, if you know the Lord, there is cause for celebration. Many years we went to Mansfield and loved on people with Jesus' love on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. We made some great memories during those times. People need to know Jesus loves them. They need to know the Hope He provides even in bleak situations. I will never forget the year a pre-teen boy found a suit in the clothing and asked if he could try it on. When he did, it fit like it was made for him. He proudly showed his grandma his 'new' suit and said, "Look what I got for Christmas!" Needless to say the tears flowed from a lot of us. He had not received presents that year due to Grandma's situation with raising him and his siblings and there not being enough money. Even at his young age he knew God provided what he needed. I think of this young man often and pray he grew up to continue relying on God. It is these kind of memories that keep me going during the holidays. I get discouraged on days like today when I know family are gathering at my Momma's house and I can't be there. I also get discouraged when I hear believers being judgmental about what others believe about the  particulars about Christmas. Arguing about the date, the place, etc. of Jesus' birth does not show Jesus' love to others. If they would spend their energy on sharing His love, their life and the lives of others would be changed. Yes, the holiday has taken on too much of a commercialized appeal for many. Yes, schedules have become too full of activities during this time of year. But focusing on the negatives of the season instead of the True Reason for the season is not doing anyone any good. This morning I think of these words from "My Grown-up Christmas List"...

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
Everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

My grown-up Christmas list would definitely include love never ending. God's love. It needs felt by all. It needs shared by all who have it within them. If we do not allow Him to work in and through us, we can't share Him. My heart breaks this morning as I reflect back on some conversations I heard, things I read, etc. this week from those who claim to have Him living in them. Unfortunately, I did not see it flow out of some. What does that say to the world? It is giving them the wrong message. The words of Matthew 1:23 do not tell us Immanuel was being born just for some. His name means "God with us" which means He was born for all.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace. Thank You for cleansing me and filling me with more of You. Thank You for protecting me from the negatives that can creep in with discouragements in this world. Father, I pray for a cleansing in people so they will not be tearing people apart but instead have Your love flowing from them. I pray for wisdom for people with what they say and the attitude they say things in. Father, be with my family today as they gather and celebrate You. I pray for those who will be gathered tomorrow in church services to have You as their focus. I pray for those who are contemplating going to church to take that step. Lord, may You be greater than the pains people are feeling with this season. Thank You Jesus for being My True Reason to Celebrate. Amen.

No comments: