Friday, December 21, 2018

Romans 15:13 - "Somewhere In Your Silent Night"


Last night in activity time with the boys I was asked the question, "How old is Jesus?" Wow! What a question! I through up a 'flair prayer' asking God to help me and proceeded to tell them how we don't know how old anyone will be in heaven. We might be the age we were when we left this earth or we might all be the same age. No one knows. Little Eli said, "Well Jesus was on this earth thousands of years ago so maybe He is thousands years old!" I love our 'activity time'! I know they are thinking and learning by the questions they ask. This morning as I reflected on this time last night I started thinking about seeds that are planted in our Tuesday night group and with the boys with 'activity time.' Oh how I pray the seeds will be cultivated and grow in a way the Lord will be happy. I pray I will take every opportunity He gives me to nourish 'my kids' spiritually. I think about how we saw kids from kindergarten through graduation at Willard. Some we had many years to sow seeds while others just a few. But God gave us thousands of opportunities to sow seeds. I am sorry for any opportunity I did not take advantage of and grateful for all I embraced. This morning I think about all the Christmas programs I directed in Willard. I pray the kids will think about them during this Christmas season. I pray those away from the Lord will be drawn to Him. I also pray for their parents to not give up praying for them to return. A song Casting Crowns sings comes to my mind this morning.

Somewhere in your silent night
Heaven hears the song your broken heart has cried
Hope is here, just lift your head
For love has come to find you
Somewhere in your silent night
Love will find you

"Love will find you..." Yes! God's desire is for all to not live in 'silent nights' but instead to live in Him. There is a part of this song that says we are the reason Jesus was born. His birth was a part of God's plan for all mankind. His birth was not just another baby being born. It was Jesus being born for all. The purpose of His birth was for His death and resurrection. Woo hoo! When our children our born, He has a purpose for them too. He also has a purpose for us as parents. He gives us opportunities every day to love on them with His love; share Him with them in a way they will want to do the same; plant seeds in them that will be cultivated throughout their life and grow; etc. Sometimes our children go by the wayside in their spiritual walk but we can never quit praying for them. We have to pray the seeds we planted will eventually be harvested in them. This morning I am praying for three groups of people. The first group are parents of young children who have the opportunity to plant and cultivate seeds. The second group are parents of prodigals who have gone away from their relationship with God. The third group are parents whose children have grown. I pray all three of these groups will pray for their children. I also pray they will be open to every opportunity God gives them to plant seeds whether it be in their own children, their grandchildren, their neighborhood children, etc. I pray they will never quit praying for them. I pray the parents of prodigals will not feel guilty about their child. Instead I pray they will pray for the right attitude and words for any opportunity the Lord gives them with their prodigal. I also pray for parents with grown children to pray for them as they themselves have children to plant seeds in. Parenting does not stop when our children our grown. In fact, there may be more of a responsibility as a parent then. The words to this song may fit in a lot of parents lives with adult children. "Somewhere in your silent night...Heaven hears the song your broken heart has cried..." I miss the days of my boys hugging me as they went out the door. I miss not hearing from them much and seeing them only once a year. But even though I miss them I know I am where God desires me to be and He has them where He desires them to be. That does not always make it easy but it makes it bearable. God sees my tears and brokenness and loves me through them. That takes me to praying for a fourth  group of parents. Those who no longer have their children with them on this earth. The grief is overwhelming for them at times but those who are in relationship with the Lord have His strength and I pray they will be embraced by it, especially during this Christmas season.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving me through the heartache and tears of missing my boys. Thank You for embracing me in Your strength through the tough days. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. I am physically so, so tired. I need a supernatural empowerment of You today. I pray You will guide my feet to where You so desire. I also pray for rest in the craziness of these days. I thank You for the nine and a half hours of sleep last night. Father, enable me to not allow any opportunity to pass by me today. Once again, I pray for parents to be empowered by You throughout all of their circumstances. Thank You Jesus for being My Empowerment. Amen.

No comments: