Thursday, December 20, 2018

Acts 2:46-47; II Timothy 1:7 - "Give Christmas Away"


I woke up this morning singing "Give Christmas Away" and immediately started thinking of people who have shared God's love with us this season, ones we have shared His love with, and ones we still will share His love with. The greatest part about pondering upon these situations is that they don't happen just in this season but we strive to make them happen 365 days a year. Having people into our home, sending cards, making phone calls, etc. are all ways we "Give Christmas Away" throughout the year. Last night being invited over to Elizabeth and Ron's for a yummy dinner and great time of fellowship was something we love to do when asked. Being together with others is a way to share God's love in a personal way. I think of the first church in Acts where we are told they did life together. In chapter two it reads:

46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Verse forty-seven does not mean a specific church had increase. It means God's family increased. What would our little world look like if we lived in such a manner? I believe it would look a lot different. If believers would "Give Christmas Away" 24/7, life would take on a whole new look not only for us but for those who receive it. The song goes:


Give this Christmas away
If there’s love in your heart
Don’t let it stay there
Give this Christmas away
And your life will be changed
By the gift you receive
When you give this Christmas away
Give this Christmas away
You have the power
Just give it away

This sounds so easy and for some it is. For others, not so much. Some people's shyness gets in the way of them sharing God's love. I think of II Timothy 1:7 that tells us God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but instead He gave us a spirit of power, love and self-control (Sheila version). Some versions say 'timid' in them. He desires us to share Him with others. If we are scared to or timid, He will empower us to do whatever He directs us to do. He will empower us to walk on the path He directs us. During the night God woke me to pray for three people. One I will have no problem telling I am praying for them. All three are believers but I am not sure where two are in their relationship with Him. Should I be scared of their reaction? Should I not tell them I am praying for them in case they get angry? Should I think God wasn't the one to tell me to pray for them? Absolutely not to all three of these questions. I am not responsible for how they react. I am only responsible for my obedience to the Lord. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of the song "Give Christmas Away" not just for this season but for every day of the year. Thank You for the hope You give to not just me but for those You lay on my heart. Father, I pray for Ellen's procedure today. I pray You will give the doctors wisdom and her peace. I also pray for the two young men You had me praying for this morning to receive my prayers in Your love. Lord, I am so amazed at all You do in and through me. Thank You seems so inadequate. I pray for my friend who has the torn meniscus to feel Your loving arms wrapped around her. I pray for friends and family who are missing loved ones; those in the military who are separated from family; families who need reconciliation in relationships; prodigals who need to return to families; those with health issues; and most of all those who are not in relationship with You. Lord, cleanse me so You can empower me to "Give Christmas Away" today in a new, different way. Thank You Jesus for being My Christmas! Amen.

No comments: