Thursday, December 6, 2018

Hebrews 13:5; Philippians 4 - "The Night Before Christmas"


Yesterday was such a blessing with finishing a school project and a gift project; spending time with my honey; seeing my two little guys; and Bible study with friends last night. Such a blessing to know You are living what God desires of you. As I took some pictures with the sunshine over the beautiful trees, I was doubly blessed. Seeing God's creation burst in color makes me happy. It reminds me of days of past in Ohio. The trees aren't as colorful but at least there is some color to them. That is something I miss living in the south. As I think about His creation I am blessed in what I now have in my little world that I've never had before. Like living so close to the ocean, living on an island where we have to cross a bridge no matter where we go, warmer climate (well normally...LOL), flowers blooming year round, etc. This is a different world than I've lived in before. Normally we do not have snow or ice even though last year there was some. Yes, there are hurricanes but not normally tornadoes. It is just a different world in so many ways, not just the creation aspect. People are different. You walk down the street and people speak to one another. A lot of times there is even a conversation between people who do not know one another. Another thing that is different here is even though there is a church on every corner many do not go to church. In Ohio if people didn't go to church, they at least would be connected to one in one way or another. That doesn't seem to be the same case here. Another thing that is different is even if people didn't go to church, they would send their children. Many do not even do that. When we were in Willard and someone would find out we were from the Nazarene Church, we would hear 'oh, that's my church' even when we had never seen them there. Their grandmother had gone there, they were raised in that church or their great uncle's first wife's daughter had gone there. LOL. They had a connection. Down here we hear from a lot of people they didn't know there was a Nazarene Church here or they have never even heard of the Nazarene Church. We have an open field here and continue to seek God's direction on what to do, how to do it, and when. We need open doors but we must not push through doors that are not being opened by the Lord. The enemy has had a hay day in this community and church for too long. We must make sure to stay connected to God so we do not do anything on our own. Everything that is done but be in His will and with His strength. If not, we will continue the process of spinning our wheels. We will become another statistic of another pastor who tries to make forward progress and then leaves after a few years due to being discouraged. It seems like little progress has been made when you look at the fact we are still meeting in the funeral home and not in our own building. People are discouraged and some have given up and left. But we must remember God is in control. Perhaps He wants to see just how strong our faith is. He has personally seen us through some tough things since coming to South Carolina. Breast cancer, Doc's various health issues and second jobs, deaths of loved ones in Ohio, etc. God has taken our faith deeper through these things. He has strengthened my faith in a whole new way. I am so grateful for the way He has blessed us through the tough days. He has opened doors that seemed locked forever. He has gone before us and been our wisdom in many areas. He has given us people to love on in ways explainable to man. He has directed us in ways people have questioned. Most of all He has been with us through everything that has and has not happened. For that, I am grateful. I think of a promise He gives us in His Word in Hebrews 13:5 that He will never leave us. I also am grateful for Paul's words in Philippians 4 that tell us to rejoice and be gentle (vs. 4-5). We do not have to be anxious (vs 6) when we live in His presence. All we have to do is stay in communication with Him (vs 6) and He will give us peace that is unexplainable to man. The way to stay in such communication is to not allow anything that is not of Him into our life (vs. 8-9) and live a life of contentment (vs. 12). As we live in such a manner, we will live in His strength (vs. 13). I strive to live such a life every day.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving me so greatly that You keep the promise of Hebrews 13:5. Thank You for the reminders of Philippians 4 that tell me how to hold onto that promise. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of Your love throughout this day. May You be seen/heard instead of me today. May You be greater than any aspect of my humanness today. Lord, I not only pray this for myself but I pray others will have the same prayer on their heart. May people seek You instead of the ways of the world today. May lives be changed by believers today in a new, different way. Thank You Jesus for being My Life. Amen.

No comments: