Saturday, December 29, 2018

Psalm 3 - "Confidence"


The Lord impressed upon me to read Psalm 3 this morning. David wrote this Psalm at a time where he felt beaten down by his enemies. In the first three verses we see how David found safety in his relationship with God. He also found honor in being a child of God. There was joy and deliverance found as he depended upon Him for strength. Communication with God is key for all to find such things. We must be in prayer and keep the lines of communication open with Him. This will enable us to see/hear what He desires of us to receive. There are times where we are overwhelmed with life and the lines of communication become weakened due to circumstances. It is during those times that we must press in closer to Him. He will protect us from our enemies. Later on in the book of Daniel we read about how Daniel was protected in the lion's den. We can read throughout the Bible of such situations where God protected people. We also know of situations today where His protection is on people. Sometimes we do not even know when or what He protects us from. Sometimes we feel as if someone was not protected when they die in an accident. The thing we do not know is perhaps God was protecting them from something on this earth. In verses five and six we see the faith David had in God's protection. He was able to lay down and sleep. Many times when faced with times of turmoil sleep is hard to come by. But when we give our problems to the Lord we do not have to fret but instead can rest in Him. Matthew Henry wrote about these verses:

"Many lie down, and cannot sleep, through pain of body, or anguish of mind, or the continual alarms of fear in the night. But it seems here rather to be meant of the calmness of David's spirit, in the midst of his dangers. The Lord, by his grace and the consolations of his Spirit, made him easy. It is a great mercy, when we are in trouble, to have our minds stayed upon God."

Amen! It may not seem like the easiest thing to do but when we allow God to be in control of our lives we will live in His peace. Yes, there will still be problems. If there weren't, we would have no need for Him. In the beginning of this Psalm we read of the problems with enemies David had. The best part about this Psalm is reading how he rejoiced by the empowerment of God through His grace and love. This is available to all not just a few chosen ones. It is available for anyone who will accept Him in their heart and allow Him to be the Lord of Lords and King of Kings of their life. Those who do this can have "Confidence" as they stand up against the enemies that come against us. I love these words in a song Sanctus Real sings...

Give me faith like Daniel in the lion's den
Give me hope like Moses in the wilderness
Give me a heart like David, Lord be my defense
So I can face my giants with confidence

Yes! He will be our defense just as He was David's when we give Him our heart and soul fully in submission. He will grow our faith like Daniel's so He can protect us. He will give us hope in situations that seem hopeless just as Moses had with the Israelites. He can be our "Confidence" when we allow Him to be. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the words of David in Psalm 3. Thank You for the way You encourage me to have confidence in You. Thank You for being the One who cleanses me every day so You can fill me with more of You. Father, may You be in every word, thought, and deed I have today. May You be greater than me. May You shine through me in a mighty way. May You be my peace in the midst of the storm of today. Father, I pray for many who are going through storms in life to draw closer to You. I pray they will know You are there for them. I pray a special prayer for my Momma today. May You be her Soothing Balm. Thank You Jesus for being My Confidence! Amen.

No comments: