Friday, October 10, 2014

Isaiah 40:28-31; Philippians 4:13 - "Lift My Life Up"

I woke up very early this morning singing "…have your way in me…"  My first thought was, "Oh Lord, can I please go back to sleep?  There is a lot happening today.  I need my strength."  His reply, "I am your strength."  OK then….I guess it's time to get up.  What does "…have your way with me…" mean in a relationship with the Lord?  It means doing whatever He asks, going wherever He asks, being whatever He asks.  It means…

…leaving your hometown and moving from family and friends
…leaving your comfort zone in so many different areas 
…living with a disease that you never know from day to day if you are going to be able to function without worrying about the future
…being ready to pray on the spot when prompted
…praying with people you don't know or are just acquainted with
…giving people words from the Lord when He directs you to do so
…spending hours during the night praying for people or getting up early to converse with Him
…praying for souls of those who are headed to hell, even if they aren't the most desirable people to be around
…going over and above human strength to do as He asks

I saw a sign yesterday that I would love to have.  If I were stitching, I could probably make up a pattern and cross-stitch it.  It said, "You never know how strong you are…until being strong is the only choice you have…"  Seeing this sign made me think about where my strength comes from.  The Lord gives me exactly what I need.  Sometimes it's physical strength.  Sometimes it's mental strength.  Sometimes it's emotional strength.  But all times it's His perfect strength.  Twenty plus years ago when He gave me Philippians 4:13 to hang onto during my MS diagnosis I never dreamed how many times I would repeat that verse.

I also love that He brought Isaiah 40:28-31 to my heart over these last couple weeks…

28 Do you not know?  Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,  the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.


These are some exciting promises!  He is the "everlasting God"…"the Creator"…he never tires of caring for us…"He gives strength to the weary"…He "increases the power of the weak"…when we have hope in Him, He "will renew" our strength…those who hope in Him "will soar on wings like eagles"…"run and not grow weary"…"walk and not be faint"…woo hoo!  I am clinging to these promises found in these verses.

When I think of an eagle, I think of strength.  When I think of eagles wings, I think of protection.  That's what He is when we live for Him.  He is our Strength.  He is our Protector.  It is only through living a life through His strength that I am able to continue on the journey He has given me.  I could never live without His strength or His protection.  

As I look back on these last few weeks, I am amazed at all He has done for me, in me, and through me.  I am amazed at how His strength enabled me...

…to get through the days of my arms and legs not functioning right
…to survive the fatigue that has attacked my body
…to continue on when my physical body wants to give up
…to pray with one who I really don't know, am just acquainted with and to give her the word He gave me for her

Really, though, when you think about it nothing should amaze us when it comes to the Lord.  He is the Almighty, All Knowing One who loves us.  He cares not only for our needs but He also gives us the desires of our hearts.  He knew I needed my "Grandma fix" to help me emotionally.  That's why I've had two times with four of my five grand babies this week and will spend time with the other one tomorrow.  He knew I needed peace before my dental appointment and He blessed me with it.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this time this morning as You strengthened me through Your words of encouragement.  Father, I do mean it when I sing "…have Your way in me."  I praise You for the life I live.  I praise You for being My Strength.  I praise You for leading me in this journey we are on.  Father, more of You and less of me is the only way this journey can continue and deepened.  Lord, today I pray wherever I go for You to shine through me.  Please enable my eyes to see opportunities to be You to those who need to see You.  Thank You Jesus for being My Strength.  Amen.


No comments: