Thursday, October 9, 2014

II John; I Cor. 10:12 - "When Mercy Found Me"

II John

1The elder,
To the lady chosen by God and to her children, whom I love in the truth—and not I only, but also all who know the truth— 2because of the truth, which lives in us and will be with us forever:
3Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love.
4It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. 5And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. 6And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
7I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them.11Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work.
12I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.
13The children of your sister, who is chosen by God, send their greetings. 

As I was reading this chapter this morning I wondered who John was writing to….who was "..the lady chosen by God and to her children."  In studying I found that "the lady" is the Church and "her children" are the members. The "sister" is another church.  I find it interesting how the word "mercy" is in the third verse.  That word was the one the Lord woke me up thinking about this morning.  I know what "mercy" means but I went to the dictionary to get the official meaning.

Mercy

n. noun
  1. Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency.
  2. A disposition to be kind and forgiving.
    a heart full of mercy.
  3. Something for which to be thankful; a blessing.
    It was a mercy that no one was hurt.
Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son…  That's what the Lord gives us all the time.  His Grace.  His Mercy.  His Peace.  The key to receiving those things is found in the scriptures following that verse.  We are to:

  1. Walk in the truth
  2. Love one another
  3. Walk in obedience to His commandments
I love how the Lord builds things for me to see.  Yesterday He led me down the path of surrender.  He reminded me of I Corinthians 10:12, So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall.  And now today He has shared another warning.  8Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.  We must be careful to stay close to the Lord in our daily living.

Last night in corporate prayer time Joan prayed that believers would put on their full armor of God each and every day.  We are in battle with the enemy but the Lord is the only way to victory.  We must walk in the truth, love one another, and walk in obedience to His commandments if we want to spend eternity with the Lord.  If we don't do these things, we will miss out of His grace, His mercy and His peace.  Rhett Butler Band sings a song called "When Mercy Found Me" that goes right along with this way of thinking.


When mercy found me
My Savior's arms were open wide
And I felt love for the very first time
When mercy found me
My mind found peace
My soul found hope
My heart found a home


Woo hoo!  We receive peace and hope when we accept the Lord.  But as this passage of scripture tells us we have to walk in the truth, love one another and walk in obedience to His commandments in order to receive the reward of eternity with the Lord.  Being a believer on this earth isn't always easy.  But when you stop and think about heaven or hell as your eternity it sure makes for an easy decision.  

There are times when it's so hard to love someone because of their actions or words.  I taught my boys that you don't always have to like someone but you do always have to love them.  The Lord commands us to love one another.  How do you love the unlovable?  You look past the outside.  You look at their circumstances or their past to see what hurts they are dealing with.  You pray for them and for yourself as you deal with them.  

I feel like I'm ready to jump out of my skin this morning.  Woo hoo!  I love, love, love how the Lord brings things to me to read and study.  And then He brings songs to my mind that go along with it.  I am so thankful for His grace…His mercy…His peace.  If it were not for those things my God gives me, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your grace, Your mercy and Your peace.  Thank You for loving me enough to die on the cross for me.  Thank You for loving me enough to live each and every day guiding me.  Father, I'm not sure all that You have in store for me today.  I know some of what is on the schedule but wherever You guide my steps, whoever You put before me, whatever You choose for me to do, I am Your servant.  Lord, You have laid it on my heart to pray for one who I've only met a couple times.  I'm not sure how they will accept what You have given me to give them.  Please pave the way ahead of me with them.  Bless my obedience.  Father, I also thank You for peace that I have with my appointment today.  You are so awesome.  Please continue that peace as I go to it and through it.  Thank You Jesus for being My Grace, My Mercy and My Peace.  Amen.




No comments: