Monday, October 28, 2013

Philippians 4:13 - Control

"I have to get out of here...I have to get out of here..."  Those were the words going through my mind as I sat on the front row at church yesterday with people standing and singing all around me.  I just wasn't sure how I was going to get out of there.  My arms were shaking out of control and my legs were starting to kick in with the shaking too.  I was afraid if I stood up I wouldn't be able to walk.  I looked back over my shoulder and asked Jody to help me.  When she came around, she saw I was struggling.  When I told her I needed to get out of there, her first response was that we were going to pray before we did anything.  Thank You Jesus for leading her!  After she prayed, we got up and she helped me out into the foyer.  I had taken three of my hippy-hippy shake pills already that morning so I knew that wasn't an option.  Doc was at a point where he could slip out so he came to me.  Once again, thank You Jesus!  Between the prayers and the pills things calmed down within a few minutes.  I spent the rest of the service resting on the couch in the foyer.  It sure wasn't the morning I wanted to have but for some reason it was the morning the Lord had in store for me.  

In the afternoon Doc and I talked about it.  My question was "Why does my shakies happen so often on Sunday?"  I would say 95% of the time I have them it's on a Sunday.  I know stress causes them to come on but I've been stressed on other days and don't have them.  I wondered out loud if it's because I'm not doing something right such as not worshiping right.  Doc encouraged me and told me that the Lord is in control.  

Later in the day after I thanked Jody for helping me she shared:

He always has a plan and is in charge. This morning he used you to show me what out of control really means. Praise him for all he does!  I know it probably wasn't an awesome situation for you. But believe me God was there and in control.


"Control..."  It is not something that we, as humans, like to give up.  When you deal with a disease, such as MS, you don't have a choice in the matter.  Physical control of my body is not always something I have.  

It made me think about spiritual control.  That is also something we, as humans, don't like to give up.  But it definitely is something that we need to allow free reign over.  I'm so thankful to be in the Nazarene Church that teaches about sanctification.  Being sanctified means to be set apart for the Lord's work.  It means giving up self and allowing the Lord to use us in whatever manner He so chooses.  Sometimes that means we have to leave our comfort zone.  Sometimes that means we have to be used as an example for someone else.  I see yesterday as one of those times.  I didn't want nor like having my body be out of control yet the Lord used it to bring a point to Jody.  Praise His Holy Name!  I'm thankful something positive came from the negative situation.  I also praise Him for bringing me where I am in my relationship with Him.  Another praise is how He has seen me through so many times with the MS over these last 19+ years and I know will continue to do so.

As I was going through this time yesterday, the words of Philippians 4:13 came to my mind.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Woo hoo!  He is My Rock...My Strength...The One I Want To Serve!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being My Strength...not just physical strength but also mental, emotional, and spiritual strength.  I praise Your Holy Name for the way You use me.  I ask that You would continue to open doors that need opened and close doors that need closed for me to see opportunities You have in store for me.  Father, bless Jody in a mighty way.  Thank You for her servant heart.  Lord, thank You for being the One Who Controls Me.  Amen.

3 comments:

PRF said...

I was thinking that your "shakies" happen in church more because you ARE doing the right thing and Satan uses this to attack you. But God is SO good! He even takes an attack of Satan and redeems it as a teaching moment! Just my perspective. Thanks for living your life outloud for Jesus!

Unknown said...

I am glad that you go calmed down are were able to return into the sanctuary. I will sing that closing hymn any time you need me. Much love!

My Strength said...

PRF....I have thought the same thing! I praise the Lord every day for the way He is leading me!

Brian...thanks so much!!!!