Friday, October 25, 2013

I John 3:16-18 - "Tammy's Story"

I do not think it was a coincidence that I was asked to be a part of a presentation called "Generational Poverty" yesterday.  It was very eye opening and made me think about how many times I've thought, "Why don't they just get a job?"  about people who seem to just work the system.  It opened my eyes to how hard it is for children to grow up in poverty and be able to break the chain of it as adults.  I was touched by this video...


This week we have received many calls at the church from people who can't pay their utilities or rent; need clothing or food; or are looking for gas money.  It seems like these calls are becoming more and more frequent.  One call was for clothing.  A single mom (who has cancer) with three children recently moved to the area.  They all need clothes.  I was able to find some for the two girls but not anything for the Mom or son.  When we went to drop off the clothing, they were so appreciative.  She said she had called many churches and agencies but we were the only ones to respond.  My heart broke for this family.  I wish I could take her cancer away...I wish I could make the transition at the new schools go better for the children...I wish I could provide for all their needs.  But of course, I can't.  But I did offer Jesus to them and He can meet all their needs.  As I prayed with them, I was blessed to hear the children say "Amen" when I finished.  I sure hope they will come to church so our church family can love on them.  I pray for their spiritual needs first and foremost but I also pray for their physical, emotional, mental and financial needs as well.  I pray for the Lord to enable them to find His Peace throughout the storms of their life.  The kids are afraid to go to school because they fear their Momma will need them or even die while they are away from her.  

As I think back on the presentation yesterday and then the contact with this family my heart breaks for those in poverty.  I came across this prayer that I think says a lot of how I feel.


Advent Peace prayer for people living in poverty

We say a prayer of thanks today for those among us
in our community, in our country, who are living in poverty.
Thank you for the courage of people with no money,
for their resourcefulness and ingenuity,
for the way they show that loving relationships do not depend on income,
for their joy and laughter in difficult circumstances
and for the willingness of those who live with little
to share with anyone who asks,
for they understand the spirit of Christmas.

We say a prayer of petition today for those among us who suffer from poverty;
for the mother who must decide which bill to pay, the electricity or the heat,
for the senior who moves to a room because they cannot afford an apartment,
for the father who doesn’t want to go anywhere near a foodbank
but must stand in line there to feed his family,
for the single person who has just been evicted and is in a shelter,
for the child who listens quietly and sadly
as their friends describe all the things they got for Christmas.
We pray for all who have experienced the dangers of our social safety net.

Show us, Lord, how to be people who bear good tidings.
Help us to make the crooked way straight for people suffering in poverty,
to set free those in captivity to want.
With our wallets and our voices and our votes, help us to be advocates,
creating a society that takes care of its citizens.
Open our ears to the angel’s song,
peace and goodwill for all your children.


Christmas is two months from today.  We don't need "stuff" but there are many who need their physical needs met.  I pray the Lord will open our eyes to those in need.  I John 3 reads:

16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

I want to love people with the Lord's love.  I want to be more giving.  The desire of my heart is for my actions to go along with my words.   We give to so many already but we can never out give God.  

Dear Jesus,
Open my eyes to opportunities to give more.  Enable me to have discernment to know who is truly in need.  Lord, Your Word tells us that in order to have Your Love in us it must flow from us.  Would You please flow in a mighty way from me?  Father, thank You for all that You have blessed me with.  Lord, help me to share more with others.  Thank You Lord for being My Provider.  Amen.

No comments: