Saturday, October 12, 2013

Psalm 1 - "Right Goes Deeper"

I loved listening to Dr Spaulding last night.  What he had to say about "Right Goes Deeper" was some good stuff!  Righteousness is better than the ways of this world.  Amen!  When you stop and think about it, the ways of this world may give temporal happiness but righteousness gives eternal life.  If more people would just be able to grasp that concept, there would be a lot more people living for Jesus.  Living for Him isn't always easy but it is better.  I loved what Dr Spaulding said, "I settled the question many years ago and me and my house will serve The Lord."  Woo hoo!  Amen Brother!  When we make the decision to be a follower of Christ, we must set our priorities and live for Him.  We can't compromise our values.

Psalm 1
Happy are those
    who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
    or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
    planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
    and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
The wicked are not so,
    but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked will perish.


vs 1 - "Happy"  NIV uses the word "Blessed."  I would have to say the two go hand-in-hand.  I am blessed which makes me happy.

vs 2 - Righteousness needs applied to our life each and every day.  As Dr Spaulding said, "Where you let your mind roam your feet will follow."  In other words, if my mind is on Jesus that's what my life will be filled with.  But if my mind is on the world, that's what my life will be filled with.  It makes me think of how we are to live in the world without taking part in what the world does.  It takes wisdom and determination.  We have to be intentional in our walk with The Lord.  If we aren't, it won't happen or it will happen for awhile and then we will give up.  Unfortunately, I see that happening to many people who get caught up in pleasing the world instead of God.  That will lead to a life in hell instead of a life of eternity  with Jesus.  Many times people think they are OK because they still have a little of Jesus in their life.  But they aren't.  We have to have Him completely in our life in order to be OK.  If you only have a little of Him, what would happen if you died unexpectantly?  Would He accept You into His arms or turn away from you?  He is the only One to answer that question but I sure don't want to take any chance of not going to heaven.  The temporal things on this earth aren't worth it.

vs 3 - Those that live righteous lives are like the tree planted by the water.  Their roots are deep through the love they have for The Lord.  That love takes them deeper in their walk.  They have a desire to learn more about Him.  They also have a desire to share Him with others and have a desire to be in communion with other believers.  All of these aspects of life strengthen our roots.

vs 4-6 - Nothing good will come from unrighteousness.  Nothing.  Death in hell is the only thing to come from unrighteousness.  


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of the importance of living a righteous life.  Father, I pray for those who are just giving a little of You to realize they need to give all of themselves to You.  I pray for those who think they are OK when they really aren't.  Father, open up hearts.  Open up minds.  Open up eyes and ears.  Lord, please make me more aware when You put opportunities before me to share You with others.  Lord, the desire of my heart is for the roots in my life to grow deeper.  I know in order for that to happen I need to give You more of myself.  I need to have less of me and more of You.  Thank You Jesus for being My Righteousness.  Amen.

No comments: