Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Genesis 22:12 - "You Are Near"

I love the study on Worship that we started at church on Sunday.  When we think of the word worship, we normally think of singing in a church setting.  I learned a long time ago worship can be so much more.  First of all, worship can occur anywhere we are.  There is no need to be in a church building nor is there a need to be in a group of people.  Second of all, worship is not just about singing.  It's about getting into the Presence of the Lord and allowing Him to take over our being.  As we were talking in group last night I was reminded of the different places I worship.  Taking Mordecei for a walk and seeing the beauty of the Lord's creation is one of them.  Driving down the road with the music cranked up and singing to the Lord is another one.  The key to worship is revealed in Genesis 22:12 when Abraham received direction from the Lord...


“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.

In the beginning of the story Abraham was given the direction to sacrifice his son Isaac.  He listened to God and prepared to do just that.  When God saw his obedience, he was stopped.  "Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."  Abraham feared God.  It wasn't a scared fear but a respectful fear.  Abraham wasn't going to withhold anything from God.  He was going to be obedient to the point of even sacrificing his son.  Wow....am I that obedient?  Do I fear God that much?  I pray each and every day that I am exactly where I need to be with the Lord in order to hear Him and be in His Presence.  I love the words of Hillsong's song, "You Are Near".



Dear Jesus,
Thank You for growing me in my relationship with You to the point of being able to hear You.  Your Presence is exactly where I want to be.  I don't want to just be in Your Presence when I'm praying but want to be there 24/7.  Thank You for being the One I worship.  Amen.

No comments: