Monday, October 7, 2013

Matthew 18:1-5 - "Like A Child"

I love the way we have changed the worship service format with giving people opportunity to be prayed over and anointed or take communion during the time of music.  Yesterday was truly a blessing for me as I saw Kylee come over and ask for prayer for her to be nicer to her brother.  I always knew we were teaching the children to pray but this was the icing on the cake.  For her to come to the altar by herself and ask for something that most children wouldn't even think about was amazing.  As she was prayed over I was thinking about the boldness she has.  Boldness to not only come to the altar during the service but most importantly boldness to make her petition before the Lord.  Woo hoo!  I wonder how many adults were in the service yesterday who wish they had her boldness....I wonder how many people left the sanctuary longing to have found peace they didn't find...I wonder how many people wish they would have shared their petition so others could be praying for them....

Matthew 18:1-5 reads:


At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”  He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

We all need to be like children.  We need to have their boldness.  We need to have their faith.  When a child prays, they expect answers.  We have taught them the answer they receive may not always be the one they want but they know they will receive an answer.  It reminds me of Jars of Clay's song "Like A Child".  When we have childlike faith, we can move mountains.  Woo hoo!




"Like A Child"

Dear God, surround me as I speak,
the bridges that I walk across are weak
Frustrations fill the void that I can't solely bear
Dear God, don't let me fall apart,
you've held me close to you
I have turned away and searched for answers I can't understand

[Chorus:]

They say that I can move the mountains
And send them crashing into the sea
They say that I can walk on water
If I would follow and believe
with faith like a child

Sometimes, when I feel miles away
and my eyes can't see your face
I wonder if I've grown to lose the recklessness
I walked in light of you

[Chorus]

[Little girl:]
"I've got joy like a fountain!"
"Be kind one to others"
"In Jesus Christ Your son"

They say that love can heal the broken
They say that hope can make you see
They say that faith can find a Savior
If you would follow and believe
with faith like a child

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Kylee and her faith.  Thank you for reminding me to have childlike faith.  Lord, yesterday was so awesome in so many different aspects.  Your Presence was so real in the service.  The way You worked through people to be Your servants yesterday was great!  The way You spoke to people and encouraged them to open up with some deep prayer requests was so awesome.  Lord, please work on all believers to be listening to You...to have childlike faith...to be giving ourselves completely to You.  Thank You Jesus for being My Mountain Mover!  Amen.

No comments: