Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Matthew 22 - "Nobody Loves Me Like You Do"



I cannot even begin to imagine what it would have been like to have Jesus in the flesh teaching and encouraging me. As I read Matthew 22 this morning, I imagined sitting along a hillside outside the city of Jerusalem listening to Him. Perhaps we would be sitting under one of the huge olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane as He taught. I loved walking where He walked. I loved being baptized in the Jordan River where John baptized Jesus. One of my favorite times in Israel was when I stood by the Sea of Galilee thinking of Peter's story and the Lord spoke to me about my own story. Today's reading of Matthew 22 with Jesus' response to the question of the Pharisees as to what the greatest commandment is touched me greatly when I read verses thirty-seven in The Message. "Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence." Wow, God! I am to love Him with all my passion...prayer...intelligence. That means I am to love Him with every ounce of my being. He is to be the Only One that should be directing my life. His life should be what I desire to mirror. His love should flow from every part of my words, actions, and attitude. He will live in and through me as I allow Him to. He will be my Peace in the midst of the storms of life as I allow Him to be. He will not push Himself upon me but He will be there for me at all time, 24/7. The key to such a relationship is to live in Him 24/7. That means allowing Him to be the One in control of my thoughts and actions. It means not only hearing His voice but listening to it and walking in obedience. "passion...prayer...intelligence." Those are some interesting words. "Passion" is what I desire to have in my life for Him. I strive to stay in a constant state of "prayer." I also strive to keep my mind ("intelligence") focused on Him even when the enemy tries to get me off track. In verse forty in The Message it reads that this commandment and the commandment to love others "...are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hands from them." If we do not follow these two commandments, we cannot be grounded in life. If we are not grounded in Him in our life on this earth, we cannot expect to spend eternity with Him. This morning I was feeling lazy and laid in bed for a bit. I was feeling guilty for laying there when my friend Elizabeth asked me to join an on-line Bible study with her. That study led me to Matthew 22 and I am so grateful for the reminders of this passage. I  desire to live as Jesus desires of me. There are times when I start to get crabby over things and have to stop myself. I am the only one who has the capability of asking Jesus to get me through crazy schedules, tough times in my physical body, health issues of loved ones, financial difficulties, etc. He is the Only One that has the answers. I do not need to worry over things I have no control over. God already has things under control, I don't need to have control over anything. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for my friend Elizabeth who You used to take me to Matthew 22 this morning. Thank You for a successful procedure to put a stint in Sally's heart yesterday; my Momma being released from the hospital; and encouraging blood work for Dale. I continue to pray for Little Natalie, Little Malachi, and Little Richie as they battle their diseases; many who are battling disease in their physical bodies; Mary Ellen and Ellen as they regain their strength; Becky and her family as they go through calling hours and the funeral of her uncle; and most of all for those who need to commit their life to You. Father, calm my apprehension about the next eighteen weeks with school. I pray for open doors for all the particulars to work out in Your way. Father, I pray I will not try to manipulate any aspect of this situation. Cleanse me so You can fill me so I will have no doubt You are in the planning. I pray for more of You and less of me. Thank You Jesus for being My Filler. Amen.


No comments: