Tuesday, January 29, 2019

II Timothy 1:7 - "Forever On Your Side"



One of the times I was awake during the night I had such an urgency to pray for my church family. I asked God 'who?' and He said 'all' so I started praying individually. As I went from person to person I prayed for things I knew about and then asked God to take care of 'unspoken' needs too. When I had covered everyone, I thought I was finished but then He had me pray for us as a corporate body of believers. A couple weeks ago He impressed upon me that prayer was the only thing that would change our situation. We have to pray corporately if we truly want to see things change with our church building. It is so discouraging to have a building bought two years ago yet still not be in it. We can blame it on a whole bunch of things yet it all boils down to God's timing. He knows what is best. Sometimes as we are in the 'waiting room' in life we do become discouraged. Sometimes we even fear the 'what ifs' that could happen through the situation we are dealing with. As we sit and wait on a loved one to come out of surgery many things go through our minds. Will they make it? Will it be cancer? How will life change after this surgery? As we wait for a prodigal to come back we have many 'what ifs' to ponder upon. Why did they stray? When will they return? What can I do to change this situation? The 'waiting rooms' of life are just that....waiting. That is not something that is easily done. We want things to be done now not later. We want to see forward progress instead of seeing us take three steps forward and two steps back. We want to know we are going in the right direction. We want. Wow! We want. What if what we want does not align up with God's will? What if He wants to keep us in the 'waiting room' until we have learned something or gone deeper with Him? What if He is waiting on us to pray for His will instead of what we want? Those are different 'what ifs' but they are viable ones to think about. I learned months ago that we will get into the building in His time. I do not understand why but I do know He has given me two things about the situation. One is that we aren't ready as a church body. In a  recent meeting with the DS he shared how we need to be preparing now for the growth that will occur when we move into the building. This is so important yet so hard to accomplish with the circumstances of meeting in the funeral home. BUT nothing is impossible with God. He will open doors that need opened and closed doors that need closed. The second thing is we must pray corporately. We must be unified in our prayers. Seeking His will and praying. Two simple things to accomplish yet so difficult. Isn't that how life is? Simple yet difficult. Sometimes we allow fear to make things difficult. I love the words to a new song I recently heard...

Oh I don't know what's around the bend
Oh, all I know is that my love, it knows no end
All these pieces they fall in line
Because I'm forever on your side
Take my hand when you can't see the light
Cause I'm forever on your side
I will carry you every time
Because I'm forever on your side
Oh I'm forever on your side

Yes! God will always be with us. He does know "what's around the bend" because He knows all. His love "knows no end" and He will "carry" us through everything that happens in life. We do not have to fear. His Word tells us that He gave us a spirit of power, love, and self-control instead of fear (II Timothy 1:7). Paul speaks of these things to Timothy to encourage him. The Holy Spirit is not fearful and when we allow Him to live in and through us we will not be either. Matthew Henry writes, "The Holy Spirit is not the author of a timid or cowardly disposition, or of slavish fears. We are likely to bear afflictions well, when we have strength and power from God to enable us to bear them." The empowerment of the Holy Spirit is what it takes to rest in the 'waiting rooms' of life. That empowerment is the only way to be able to not only hear the voice of God but walk in obedience to it. I desire to live in His empowerment every day.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders during the night of the importance of living in Your Spirit during the 'waiting rooms' of life. Thank You for the privilege to pray for my church family. Thank You for empowering those who so desire to walk in Your will. Father, I pray for a cleansing in me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. I pray for Your words, actions, and attitude to be mine today. Lord, be greater than me. Empower me to walk in Your will. Lord, direct us as a church body. Empower us. Love on us in such a way that people will not doubt You. I pray for You to be more of a desire in our hearts. Thank You Jesus for being My Desire. Amen.

No comments: