Wednesday, January 2, 2019

II Timothy 2 - "Still"

God woke me up in the middle of the night with these words. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God" (II Timothy 2:15 KJV). I immediately thought this meant I needed to be studying His Word more or in a different way. As I read all of chapter two of II Timothy in different versions this morning, I realized Paul was writing about how we are to live for God. In The Message the beginning of verse fifteen reads, "Concentrate on doing your best for God." NIV reads, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved..." Paul tells Timothy to persevere through all that comes his way as He proclaims the Gospel (vs 1-7). He encourages Timothy to stay faithful in his walk with the Lord (vs 8-13) and to be careful that the words out of his mouth are to be useful for furthering God's Kingdom (vs 14-21). In the last few verses (vs 22-26), Paul charges Timothy to be zealous in his ministry but to do so with the right spirit and without error. Paul didn't just say these words but he lived them. He was careful in all he said and did. He desired to be a living example for God. We, today, need to have Paul's attitude. Everything we do needs to be done with God's approval. If we decide to do something or say something and it is not from Him, we are making a grave mistake. He must be our Focus and the One to direct us. He must be the One we look to at all hours of the day. We cannot allow the ways of this world to pull us away from God. Instead we must be strong in our faith so He can work in and through us. That is the only way we will spend eternity with Him. I like how Matthew Henry states it. "If we are dead to this world, its pleasures, profits, and honours, we shall be for ever with Christ in a better world." My goal is to spend eternity with Him. If I am not living in His presence, that goal will not be attainable. Yesterday as I was trying to make a difficult decision I prayed but I was not getting a 'quick' answer as I desired. I started to make a decision based upon my emotions and He stopped me. I asked for wisdom but it just seemed like I was getting no where with the situation. Several hours later I put a fleece out and I received my answer. I was at peace and thankful He had not just given me the answer hours before. The day was filled with seeking His will in this situation. Had I been given the answer in the beginning I may have missed His presence so greatly throughout the day. I was not holed up in my room praying all day. Instead I was functioning, having a normal day with interaction with others. But throughout the entire day I was praying and seeking His will. It is days such as yesterday that make me realize the importance of being willing to do whatever God desires. Sometimes He will reveal things to us instantly but other times it takes time. No matter how long the process is, He desires to love on us with His love. He desires to direct our path as we serve Him. All we have to do in live in His presence so we will be able to hear Him. I love the way verses twenty and twenty-one read in The Message.


The desire of my heart is to be usable to God in whatever way He desires. I think of our son Ben who is an ordained pastor. God called him out of full-time church ministry to minister through a non-profit organization. Is he still in ministry? Definitely. Is God using him? Definitely. He may be ministering to more now in this position than he was as a pastor of a church. God uses those who are willing to do things that may seem impossible or 'crazy.' He uses people who are willing to be 'crystal goblets' and those who are willing to be 'waste cans.' The key is knowing how He wants to use you and then walking in the path He puts before you. The only way to receiving this 'key' is by living in His presence where His will is heard and the desire to walk in it is there. This time with Him this morning did not turn out as I thought it would. I thought He was going to teach me about studying but instead He taught me about being more usable to Him. Woo hoo! I love my time with Him to start my days. There are definitely times of surprise from time to time.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You bring Your Word alive. Thank You for showing me this morning the need to be more usable for You. Father, I pray continued blessings upon Ben and his ministry. I pray You will continue to bless him and his family as they seek more of You. Lord, I pray the same for Doc and I. Cleanse us so You can fill us to overflowing with more of You. Father, whether You want to use us as 'crystal goblets' or whether You want to use us as 'waste cans' today, Your will be done. Lord, I also pray for healing in my Momma. I pray for deep breaths to flow in her and Your peace to come down upon her body. I pray for Little Natalie who will be having a test to determine what is going on in her little body. I also pray for the pain Billie is experienced to subside through Your supernatural empowerment. Thank You Jesus for being My Guide. Amen.


1 comment:

Aritha said...

Thank you so much. It is so nice to read about your life with your God and Saviour. Every day is a learning process, and He is our Rabbi.