Sunday, January 26, 2014

Hebrews 10:19-25 - Church Cancelled

Another snowy, blowy, cold day.  Today is Sunday but church is cancelled which is sad for me.  I don't like not being with my sisters and brothers worshiping our Daddy.  Yes, I worship other days of the week besides today but it's different when you get together with your church family.  

Canceling church is one of the hardest decisions a pastor has to make.  No matter what you do, you are wrong.  People will be upset when you cancel because they "don't have any trouble on the roads."  While others are upset when you don't cancel because "the weather is too bad to be out on the roads."  It's a lose-lose situation.  Thankfully, when you pray and have the Lord's guidance there is a sense of peace with the decision.  Of course, that doesn't stop the enemy putting doubts into your mind about your decision.  Nor does it make everyone happy with your decision.

I am reminded of the words in Hebrews 10:19-25 this morning as I think about my church family not able to meet today.  Verse 25 reads, "not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing..." Yes, we aren't having church today.  But how many have been missing sporadically over the last few months or how many have not been there in months?  Too many.  Back in Biblical times they had this problem and it continues today.  Why is church not top priority for some?  I personally can't answer that question because it is top priority for me.  When I ask people why they miss, I hear all sorts of excuses.  Time constraints such as work and kids sports schedule top the list.  

I agree with ones who tell me you don't "have to" go to church to be a Christian.  My response to that is "but it sure helps."  It encourages not only yourself but those around you.  The second part of verse 25 reads, "...but encouraging one another--all the more as you see the Day approaching."  We need to encourage one another.  Today as we are not able to be in church we encouraged people to call those who are sick, elderly, live alone, etc. to check on them and see if they need anything.  During one of my calls this morning I had the opportunity to encourage someone through listening and praying with them over the phone.  I pray others will make contact so they can be Jesus to others today.

19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the beauty of Your creation.  I'm sorry I've been grumbling about this weather. It's hard to deal with sometimes.  But Father I'm excited that You have given us the opportunity to be You to others today.  I pray our church family will reach out to others since we can't be in church.  I also pray You will squelch the enemy when he tries to cause havoc in our church families lives.  Take away doubts.  Take away fears.  Fill them with more of You and less of themselves.  I praise You Lord for being My God!  Amen.

No comments: