Thursday, January 16, 2014

Ephesians 4:26 - Anger

Last night I became so angry when I heard about a parent and what they allowed their children to be exposed to.  I don't get angry very often and when I do I struggle with it.  I remember growing up seeing my Daddy jump up and down in the middle of the living room, clenching his fist and yelling.  I often wondered what Jesus was thinking when He saw him reacting that way.  I also had been taught in church that it was OK to be angry but it was how we responded with the anger that determined if we sinned.  

Righteous anger is when we become angry over sin.  Jesus expressed righteous anger when He became angry with what was happening in the temple with the money changers.
Matthew 21:12-13 reads,  Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’”  He let them know exactly how He felt.  When I read these verses I wonder, "Was His behavior appropriate?"  He physically showed His displeasure.  If I were to react to a situation as He did, would it be considered sin?  Ephesians 4:26 reads, When you are angry, do not sin, and be sure to stop being angry before the end of the day.  

So I must ask myself when I become angry, "Is it justified before the Lord?"  If my answer is yes then I must ask myself, "Did I handle my anger appropriately?"  Did I adhere to the words of James 1:19-20 in my response?   Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.  
If my answer to the first question is no, I need to ask for forgiveness.  

Dear Jesus,
I thank You for loving me enough to forgive me.  I also thank You for giving me emotions that I can learn to demonstrate in the right way.  Father, first I pray for these children who are being raised in such an awful situation.  I pray for protection over them.  I also pray You will put Christians in their path who will show them Your love.  Secondly, I pray for my emotion of anger to be checked each and every time it comes out.  Lord, give me more of You and less of me.  Thank You Jesus for being My Model to Live By.  Amen.

No comments: