Monday, June 17, 2013

Psalm 34:15-22 - "So Good To Me"


I woke up this morning with Bette Midler's song "From A Distance" going through my head.  Over and over and over again...."God is watching us; God is watching us; God is watching us from a distance."  My first thought  was, "Where did that come from?"  My second thought was I have to get up and figure this one out.  So here I am at 5AM digging into why the Lord woke me up to this song.  It's not a "Christian" song so to speak.  It doesn't even make sense when it says, "From a distance."  I mean, the Lord is here with us at all times.  
Psalm 34:15-22 reads:
15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
    and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
    to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
    he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19 The righteous person may have many troubles,
    but the Lord delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.
21 Evil will slay the wicked;
    the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The Lord will rescue his servants;
    no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

Verse 18 sticks out to me..."The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  He isn't watching from a distance but rather is close to us.  I think the reason why this verse brings out the "brokenhearted" is because we are closest to God when we are "brokenhearted".  We feel like no one is there for us when we are "brokenhearted" yet the Lord is.  We feel like our prayers are hitting the ceiling yet He hears.  
I am reminded of a song we sang yesterday, "So Good To Me" by Cory Asbury.  
Verse:
I waited patiently upon the Lord
And He inclined and heard my cry
He pulled me up out of the miry clay
He set my feet upon the Rock
He gave me beauty for ashes and joy for my mourning
And praise for heaviness
He put a new song in my mouth and a crown upon my head
He gave me life forevermore
Chorus:
He’s been so good, so, so good to me; so good, so, so good to me
So good, so, so good to me, Jesus
Post-chorus:
He picked me up and He turned me around
And He placed my feet on the solid ground
Hallelujah, hallelujah
Tag:
I’ve got love, joy, peace and righteousness in the Holy Spirit

Woo hoo!  This song shows just how awesome the verses in Psalm 34 are.  I fell apart yesterday...literally fell apart.  I lost it for a period of time as I sobbed in a dear friend's arms.  "He gave me beauty for ashes and joy for my mourning...And praise for heaviness..."  Woo hoo!  He wasn't watching me from a distance but was right there with me.  Praise His Holy Name!  I praise Him for opening my eyes to the realization yesterday morning that my tears would be healing tears.  I praise Him for the dear ladies who allowed me to have a meltdown in their arms.  I praise Him for giving me the strength to go on with my day.  I praise Him for giving me songs such as "Trading My Sorrows" and "So Good To Me" to encourage me.  

I am encouraged to help others through their grief.  I am encouraged to know He isn't just in the distance watching me but rather is here for me.  I am encouraged to know He is with me as a grieve.  He may not be physically close to me but He is emotionally close.  He feels my pain.  His heart is broken just as mine.  He isn't just watching us from a distance but is with me in my pain, to comfort me.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the ladies who took me into their arms yesterday...they were being You.  As they embraced me, they were sharing You with me.  Lord, would You please bless them today?  Would You also please open my eyes to people who need You through me today?
Thank You for Your Presence yesterday...it encouraged me to continue pressing on.  I praise You that You are always with us.  I ask that You continue to be so very real to me.  I ask that You continue to speak to me.
Thank You for the songs You encouraged me with yesterday...they were from You.  
Thank You Lord for being My "love, joy, peace and righteousness in the Holy Spirit"!  Amen.







No comments: