Sunday, June 16, 2013

Nehemiah 8:10b - "Trading My Sorrows"

Today is Father's Day...my first Father's Day without my earthly Father...

I was thinking about a program my sister Linda and I did a few years ago for his birthday.  It was called "Man of Many Hats."  It was a fun day with him and his Sunday School class as we took different hats and put them on him.  One of the most important hats was that of husband/father.  I loved the tribute Tom read at my Daddy's funeral that Paul wrote.  In it he said, "Whenever I asked him what keeps him and Grandma going for so long he would simply say, 'Just keep Mommy happy'."  He was an awesome husband for 66 years and an awesome Daddy for 65 years.

I miss the calls...I miss the hugs...I miss the words of encouragement...I miss the way he took care of my Momma...  But I'm thankful he is out of pain and agony and dancing with Jesus!  He is spending his first Father's Day with my sister Naomi who was taken from this earth too soon.  I had more Father's Days with him than she did on this earth and now it's her turn to be with him.  I am sad but will get through as I lean on the Lord today.  The tears I shed are ones of healing.  I think of the song today "Trading My Sorrows" and say "yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes, Lord, yes."  I will trade my sorrows and lay them "...down for the joy of the Lord."  I will stand on Nehemiah 8:10b.  "This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

Dear Jesus,
Would you please give my Daddy a hug for me?  Would you tell him I love him?  Would you let him know I'm OK?  Thank You Jesus for giving me 51 years with such a great Daddy!  Thank You for the example he gave to all of us on how to be a great husband and Daddy!  Thank You for loving me enough to bless me with him.  Thank You Lord for being My Heavenly Daddy and for loving me.  Amen.



Allow me to close out by sharing a heartfelt email that was sent to me by Claude’s grandson, Paul Powers. It goes like this: “How does one describe the greatest man they’ve ever known.? Let me paint you a picture of him. Picture a man with the strength of Samson and the heart of David. Words like devoted, honest, hard working and greatest father don’t do him justice. Loving, giving and fellow Christian help describe him, but don’t get the job done either. He was no Jesus, but to me he was pretty close to perfect. I’m sure he made mistakes... but I can’t think of any. 
I can only remember the good times. I remember a man teaching me a how to use tools to fix - well, everything. I remember a man who wanted to give me my first car but decided to make me pay for it to teach me to appreciate it. This is the same man who opened his home and made me feel welcome, as he did for others before me. And those few years were some of the best I’ve ever had. Grandpa showed me how to be a good Christian man and he showed me with his actions how to be a good husband. Whenever I asked him what keeps him and Grandma going for so long he would simply say, “Just keep Mommy happy”. I only hope I can emulate him and have as long and fulfilling marriage as he and Grandma have had. A marriage that can see through financial difficulties, car accidents, train wrecks and even loss of friends and family. The kind of marriage that can literally stand the test of time. 
The thing is, I am deeply saddened by the loss of a great man. But I am truly happy that his suffering and pain are now gone. I have never been as sure about anything in my life as I am about him being in Heaven right now. I’d like to think he is looking down at us right now and is proud of the way we are celebrating his life. But I just don’t think that’s true. I think he is too busy playing euchre with his friends and passing out hugs. Oh how he liked to give hugs. If there is a “hugger” in Heaven, well...move over because Claude McHenry just came to town! Signed - man proud to share your name...Paul Eugene.” Paul, what an awesome and beautiful tribute to your grandpa. 




Man of Many Hats…Claude McHenry

Serious side…
Godly Man (dress hat)
Proverbs 18:10…The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and they are safe.

Umpire (baseball cap)
Proverbs 24:23…These also are sayings of the wise:  To show partiality in judging is not good.

Patient (surgery cap) – lots of experience with this one! 
Joshua 1:9 ...Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Funny side…
Joker (dred locks cap)
Proverbs 17:17…A friend loves at all times.

Ladies Man/Hugger (ladies hat)
Song of Solomon 1:2…Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth— for your love is more delightful than wine.

Santa Claus (santa hat)


Proverbs 15:13a…A happy heart makes the face cheerful.

Caring side…I Peter 4:9-10…Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various form.

Cook (chef’s hat)
Romans 12:13…Share with God’s people who are in need.  Practice hospitality.

Giver (KF cap)
Proverbs 11:25…A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

Family-man side…
Farmer (straw hat)
Ecclesiastes 3:22…So that I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot.

Husband/Father
"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." ~Author Unknown~
Ephesians 5:25…Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.

Birthday Boy (party hat)
Proverbs 16:31…Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.





No comments: