Tuesday, December 10, 2019

II Timothy 1:7; Luke 6 - "Build My Life"


Luke 6 is about Jesus' teachings while on this earth. In the beginning of the chapter there is controversy over what was allowed and not allowed to be done on the Sabbath. There are things that must be done such as eating as the disciples plucked corn to eat. But we must never forget that we are to live out the Sabbath in honor. We also must never forget to look to Jesus as an example. Before naming the twelve disciples He spent the night in prayer. Verses twenty-seven through thirty-six give us hard lessons for our flesh to hear and practice. 

27 “But if you will listen, I say to you, love your enemies and do something wonderful for them in return for their hatred. 28 When someone curses you, bless that person in return. When you are mistreated and harassed by others, accept it as your mission to pray for them. 29 To those who despise you, continue to serve them and minister to them. If someone takes away your coat, give him as a gift your shirt as well. 30 When someone comes to beg from you, give to that person what you have. When things are wrongly taken from you, do not demand they be given back. 31 However you wish to be treated by others is how you should treat everyone else.
32 “Are you really showing true love by only loving those who love you back? Even those who don’t know God will do that. 33 Are you really showing compassion when you do good deeds only to those who do good deeds to you? Even those who don’t know God will do that.
34 “If you lend money only to those you know will repay you, what credit is that to your character? Even those who don’t know God do that. 35 But love your enemies and continue to treat them well. When you lend money, don’t despair if you are never paid back, for it is not lost. You will receive a rich reward and you will be known as true children of the Most High God, having his same nature. For your Father is famous for his kindness to heal even the thankless and cruel. 36 Show mercy and compassion for others, just as your heavenly Father overflows with mercy and compassion for all.”
Matthew Henry wrote, But if we are thoroughly grounded in faith of Christ's love, this will make His commands easy to us. If we desire to love with His love, we first must be filled with it. To be filled with it we must be willing to say 'yes' even when it may be hard to do. We must live out II Timothy 1:7 every day. God woke me up in the middle of the night to read Luke 6:33. I knew I had to read the whole chapter or at least the section where that verse was found to get the just of what was being said. Verse thirty-three tells us we need to love everyone not just those who are 'easy' to love. Even those who do not know Jesus love people. But only those in full relationship with Him can love everyone with His love. I asked God to forgive me for anytime I did not show His love to someone. I thought about the situation when the man who came into the church after service asking for money for food. We have a history with him. We've given over and over but we have seen him buying things other than food when given money. I'm thankful for the wisdom God gave me with the situation. I asked God if he was the one I didn't love with His love and was thankful to hear, "No, Daughter." I then asked Him to tell me who it was and He said, "They have not been before you yet." That means God is warning me for an opportunity that will come. I pray my focus stays on Him so I do not miss such an opportunity. I am grateful for times such as this when God directs me before something happens. I desire to produce good fruit as described in verses forty-four. The only way for me to do this is to be in relationship where I can not only hear His voice but follow what He desires of me. Verse forty-six through forty-nine describes how I desire to live with Him as my foundation.

46 “What good does it do for you to say I am your Lord and Master if what I teach you is not put into practice? 47 Let me describe the one who truly follows me and does what I say. 48 He is like a man who chooses the right place to build a house and then lays a deep and secure foundation. When the storms and floods rage against that house, it continues to stand strong and unshaken through the tempest, for it has been wisely built on the right foundation. 49 But the one who has heard my teaching and does not obey it is like a man who builds a house without laying any foundation whatsoever. When the storms and floods rage against that house, it will immediately collapse and become a total loss. Which of these two builders will you be?

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for waking me in the middle of the night with Scripture to read this morning! Thank You for a good nights rest and Doc making my breakfast this morning! Thank You for some hours of normalcy Sunday and again yesterday! Thank You for our time of shopping and having lunch out yesterday! I love Doc so much and miss these times. What a blessing to have them yesterday in between blood work and the board meeting. Thank You for the blessing of the church covering his health insurance! Thank You for all the ways You bless us everyday! Lord, I pray for those who have lost spouses over the last year to feel Your strength. I can't even begin to think about what life would be without Doc. With the pancreatic cancer knocking at his door I know this may become a reality for me but I continue to pray for a healing for him on this earth so we can continue to do life together. May You comfort: Steve, Jim, Renee, Shirley, June, the spouse of the young veteran who died this week, and many others. May Your strength be their strength to get through the tough days. Thank You Jesus for being My Foundation! Amen.

No comments: