Friday, February 10, 2017

I Peter 2:21-25 - "Live Like You're Loved"


Yesterday was one of those days full of so many emotions. By the end of the day I was so exhausted I climbed into bed at 8:00. I had picked up a take-n-bake pizza and put it in the oven before crashing. Doc brought me some when it was done so I didn't even have to get back up. I received a phone call about my dear friend being in her last hours yesterday morning. Oh the memories I have of spending time with her whether on the phone, through chat or in person. With living on two different sides of Ohio we didn't get together much in person but when we did we had fun times! She was more than my friend but was also my mentor. I knew she was there for me to ask questions, voice concerns and to be encouraged to keep going when things got tough. She was my cheerleader when I would get discouraged about getting a 'B' in a class. She was my prayer warrior during my MS exasperations and my diagnosis with 'C'. She was always there for me just as she was always there for so many others. My heart breaks for her honey today as he wakes up for the very first time with her not on this earth with him. My heart breaks for her children and grandchildren who she dearly loved. My heart breaks for her church family who she loved to pastor. My heart breaks for everyone she touched. The angels are rejoicing yet those left here on earth are in pain. I pray her death will be a wake-up call to those who are not living in relationship with the Lord. I pray those who don't know Him will come to know Him. I pray for those who know Him but continue to not live a life of holiness will come to the end of themselves and realize what they need to do. Peter gives clear direction on how we are to live in 2:21-24. God calls us to follow Christ's example. We do not have to sin but instead can choose a life of holiness. It does not mean we won't sin but does mean we will no longer have the desire to sin. He is our Shepherd and we are His sheep. We need to follow Him as He desires so He can be the "Guardian of your souls." Deborah not only accepted Him into her life but she chose to die to self and live a life of holiness. Because of that she is no longer suffering with disease today on this earth but rejoicing with a new body in heaven. Part of me is jealous but I know my work on this earth is not done. There are still people I need to love on with Jesus' love and I pray I will never get distracted to the point of not hearing Him when He gives me opportunities to do so. I will never forget Deborah's words at the end of my assessment. "Lady, I am so proud of you and can hardly wait to see you walk down the aisle for ordination." Even though she won't be here when that time comes I pray I will continue to live a life that she would be proud of. Most importantly I pray I live a life the Lord is proud of.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for yesterday! Thank You for my dear mentor Deborah who I will miss greatly. As I prayed for her throughout the day yesterday I kept praying for 'mercy' and 'a miracle'. I believe she received both and I thank You for that. I pray for Sam and her family today. I pray You will be so real to them. Lord, enable me today to see the opportunities You give me to love with Your love. Bless my efforts in a mighty way. Thank You for my friend Debbie who publicly thanked me yesterday for the way I live in You. Thank You for my neighbors who came over to celebrate Amy's birthday yesterday. Thank You for Tiffany who blessed me in abundance with "you have such a servant's heart" as she was leaving from our gathering. Thank You for our fun time with friends and our dogs last evening. Lord, You encourage me greatly through people and I thank You for that. It is words such as these that keep me going on the road You have set-out for me. Lord, enable me to be You today to those I meet and/or talk with. Open my eyes to those who need to hear words of encouragement themselves. You care for me so greatly just as a shepherd cares for his sheep and I am so grateful for that. Thank You Lord for being My Great Shepherd. Amen.

No comments: