Thursday, September 11, 2014

Psalm 139 - "Mighty To Save"



This song came to my mind as we prayed last night in our corporate prayer time.  I truly believe my Lord can move mountains.  I've seen Him do it many times in my own life.  The key to Him doing it is for us to be open to Him.  We have to be ready and open for change before we will embrace it.  Once we embrace it, we better be ready because life is going to be one change after another after another…  In order to embrace it though we have to get to the place of surrender.

Surrendering to the love of Jesus isn't always the easiest thing to do but it definitely is very rewarding.  Once we surrender to Him we learn more about Him.  I love the words to the song, "Mighty To Save"….

So take me as You find me--all my fears and failures.
Fill my life again.
I give my life to follow everything I believe in.
I surrender. (I surrender.)

I think the second time of surrender to a life of holiness is by far even more rewarding.  Waking up with Him…spending time with Him…talking to Him throughout the day while listening to Him…being ready to do as He desires of me….  Woo hoo!  That is my life and it is so full that there are times I just want to burst.  I remember the days of living for Him but not truly living for Him.  It's hard to explain but I see so many people in this sort of lifestyle.  You try to do what's right but you still fall.  You try to live for Him but yet because You won't surrender all to Him you can't.  You have the yearning in your heart to live for Him yet the ways of the world get in between you and Him.  

I love the words of Psalm 139…He knows us in every possible way.  The desire of His heart is for us to live a surrendered life with Him.  
You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you.

19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
    Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
    your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,
    and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
    I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.
Savior, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save.
He is mighty to save.
Forever, author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave.
Jesus conquered the grave.
Savior, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save.

There are many mountains that need moved in our lives so that we can live for Him.  Most of the mountains are man-made...
  • There is the mountain of greed where we think we have to work more in order to have more.  
  • There is the mountain of lust where we want what others have and will do anything it takes to get it.
  • There is the mountain of power where it makes us feel good to be over people.
  • There is the mountain of relationships where people are who we turn to in time of need instead of the Lord.
  • There is the mountain of finances that because of poor decisions become like a black hole we can't get out of. 
  • There is the mountain of humility that causes us to think we are better than others and don't need anyone but ourselves.
  • There is the mountain of addiction that pulls us further and further away from the important things of life and into the traps of the enemy.
  • There is the mountain of bad health that makes us feel so horrible physically that we can't do anything that the Lord wants of us.
  • There is the mountain of our past that makes us feel unworthy to accept the Lord's love.
  • There is the mountain of time constraints that cause us to not have time for the Lord when in fact He needs to be our 24/7.

How can these mountains move?  First by accepting Him.  Then by surrendering to Him.  A friend wrote these words.  "If we don't allow the death to sin, burial and resurrection into new life in Christ to proceed from the Holy Spirit, then we miss so much more….salvation is lovely BUT sanctification is amazing because that is the point of growing deeper in love with our GOD and creator."  (Jed Brake)  We must move past salvation into a life of surrender.  We must do as this song says and "Shine your light and let the whole world see; We're singing for the glory of the risen King, Jesus…"  Woo hoo!  

A life of surrender goes beyond the cross…beyond the grave…into a life of 24/7 living in His Presence.  How can that be?  By allowing the Lord to move the mountains out of your life.  By allowing him to have His way in your life.  By loving Him more than you love yourself.  By accepting His will instead of your own.

Glory Hallelujah…Woo Hoo…Praise the Lord…I just want to dance for joy and go and tell the world how a life of surrender is the best way to live…a life of living in His Presence is where I love living!

Dear Jesus,
You are the One I live for.  You are the One I desire.  You are the One I want to please…no one else but You.  Father, I am so grateful for the life of surrender You have put before my path and I took on as my way of life.  Thank You Jesus for loving me enough to not only die on the cross and raise from the grave but live in and through me.  Father, wherever You direct me today, I will go.  Whatever You put upon my lips, I will say.  Father, just as we prayed last night for people to come into a relationship with You or into a deeper relationship with You, I am praying that same prayer again today.  I commit them to You, Lord.  May the Holy Spirit have free reign to change them.  Thank You Jesus for the way You are working in the lives of some of our young people.  Thank You for putting Nancy in that classroom yesterday.  Thank You for going before this young man.  Lord, draw him and his friends to You.  Thank You Jesus for being The One I Surrender To.  Amen.


No comments: