Friday, September 12, 2014

Proverbs 22:17; Various scriptures - Choose JOY


I thought of Proverbs 22:17 when I saw this picture.  A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.  Woo hoo!  "A cheerful heart…"  How in the world can one have a cheerful heart when they are on a difficult journey in life?  How can one be happy when they lose a loved one?  Should one pretend to be happy when they are falling apart inside?  The only way to get through a difficult journey is to choose JOY.  In order to choose JOY one must do a few things for themselves…

  • Seek the Lord with their whole heart as in Psalm 119:10
  • Run from the enemy when he tries to pull you away from the Lord as in James 4:7
  • Allow the Lord to be your strength as in Philippians 4:13
Choosing JOY is just that…it's a choice.  When we are on a difficult journey in life, we have the choice of either allowing the Lord to carry us through it or doing it on our own.  I saw a picture this morning that reminded me of this….



We are not on this difficult journey on our own.  The Lord is with us.  In fact, His word tells us that in II Chronicles 20:17.  Still, as human beings, the question remains sometimes as to "why" we are on this difficult journey.  It is not wrong to ask that question as long as we listen to the Lord's response and respond appropriately.  There have been many times the Lord has told me to "wait" for the answer.  Sometimes I did and sometimes I tried to manipulate circumstances to get an answer.  I'm so thankful I've learned to no longer do that.  His time is the perfect time.  When we ask questions of Him, we must wait for His time to receive the answer.  

I go back to my questions from earlier...How in the world can one have a cheerful heart when they are on a difficult journey in life?  How can one be happy when they lose a loved one?  Should one pretend to be happy when they are falling apart inside?  The only way to get through a difficult journey is to choose JOY.  

I choose JOY by basking in the Lord's presence as He heals not only my physical body but my emotional and mental body.
I choose JOY instead of allowing the enemy to pull me down.
I choose JOY by allowing the Lord to be my strength.
I choose JOY by thinking of Jesus first; Others second; You (myself) last.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder of how to have JOY when going down a difficult journey.  I think back on the days around my Daddy's death.  You were my source of strength that enabled me to grieve yet have JOY.  Thank You Jesus!  Father, I pray for this journey I am on right now.  I pray for the unknown.  I pray for Your strength to continue to carry my physical body.  I pray blessings upon medication.  Lord, You are the Only One who knows if and when this journey will end.  Father, I must say that my choice is not to continue in this manner for the rest of my days but I also need to remember that if that is Your choice then You will give me the strength to learn a new "normal" to carry on as Your servant.  Lord, bless me with JOY in my spirit today.  Give me opportunities to be You to others.  Put a smile on my face as I bask in Your presence.  Lord, thank You once again for being My JOY!  Amen.

No comments: