Monday, April 22, 2013

Matthew 6:9-13 - The Lord's Prayer


The Lord's Prayer Words

(traditional)


Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.


I remember as a little girl going to Grandma and Grandpa's house and hearing them recite the Lord's Prayer at bedtime.  Most recently when I would be at Mom and Dad's house I would relive that experience as they did the same.  What memories...what a legacy...how awesome to see faith lived out in those you love.  

"Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven..."  That's what happened Saturday morning.  The pain in my Daddy's head was gone because there is no pain in heaven.  Woo hoo!  

"Give us this day our daily bread..."  My Daddy didn't go to bed at night until Momma read scripture for them.  He didn't get through his day without praying several times.  What an example he left for those of us still on this earth.

Scripture comforts me during this time of letting go of my Daddy.  Revelation 21:4 describes heaven as,  "‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."  My Daddy is finally out of pain.  He is at rest just as Revelation 14:13 describes.  "Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.”  “Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”  I am also comforted in Jesus' Words in John 14:1-4.  “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”  When my earthly Daddy was with us, he knew he would spend eternity in heaven with His Heavenly Father.  When My Heavenly Father called his name, there was no doubt that he was ready to go.

As I think about the next few days, I don't know how I will get through them.  But I know I am not on my own.  I know I have my Heavenly Daddy's strength.  I don't want to go through them but yet I know it's all part of the grieving process.  I must keep in my mind that it's not "good-bye" but rather it's "see you in a while."  It's just so hard to think about never hearing my Daddy's voice on the phone asking me how I'm doing.  It's so hard to think about never having another hug from him....never hearing him say "Sheila Babe."

We've been grieving for the last couple of years.  At first, I grieved because he was no longer able to come to our home.  Then I grieved because he was no longer able to get in the car and drive himself somewhere.  Then I grieved because he was no longer in the kitchen making some of his good soup, meat loaf or potato salad.  At Christmas we grieved because he wasn't up to having us all at the same time.  Then the grieving continued as Hospice came in.  All of these months of grieving yet we still have the tears flowing from time to time.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for your strength during these tough days.  I praise You Lord for being My Heavenly Father.  Thank You Jesus for all the years I had with my earthly Daddy and for all the things he taught me.  I praise You for godly parents.  Lord, these next few days are going to be tough, especially with Doc in his condition.  Would you bless us mightily with Your strength?  Would you please keep my MS under control through all of this?  I praise You, Lord for being so wonderful to me.  Amen.

No comments: