Wednesday, April 24, 2013

John 14:1-4 - Tough Days

Today was a day I never wanted to experience yet one that most of us do have to go through.  I thought I was doing "so good" keeping my emotions under control but that idea kind of went out the window a few times today.  Thankfully, my husband was there to remind me that releasing emotions during times like this is a good thing.  I am so thankful he was able to be with me.  Praise the Lord for the strength he was given to get through these days.  I praise the Lord for taking his headache away and for giving him a good night's sleep even with being away from home last night.  I praise the Lord for the awesome service which celebrated my Daddy's life.  My niece, Jasmin, did an awesome job not only in writing about Grandpa but then reading what she wrote.  I was so proud of my Lizzy who read scripture and my Paul who wrote an awesome tribute to his Grandpa.  Here are his words...

How does one describe the greatest man they've ever known.  Let me paint you a picture of him.  Picture a man with the strength of Samson and the heart of David.  Words like devoted, honest, hard working and greatest father don't do him justice.  Loving, giving and fellow Christian help describe him but don't get the job done either.  He was no Jesus, but to me he was pretty close to perfect.  I'm sure he made mistakes but.....I can't think of any.
 
I can only remember the good times.  I remember a man teaching me a how to use tools to fix, well, everything.  I remember a man who wanted to give me my first car but decided to make me pay for it to teach me to appreciate it.  This is the same man who opened his home and made me welcome, as he did for others before me.  And those few years were some of the best I've ever had.  Grandpa showed me how to be a good Christian man and he showed me with his actions how to be a good husband.  Whenever I asked him what keeps him and Grandma going for so long he would simply say, "just keep mommy happy".  I only hope I can emulate him and have as long and fulfilling marriage as he and Grandma have had.  A marriage that can see through financial difficulties, car accidents, train wrecks and even loss of friends and family.  The kind of marriage that can literally stand the test of time.
 
The thing is, I am deeply saddened by the loss of a great man.  But I am truly happy that his suffering and pain are now gone.  I have never been as sure about anything in my life as I am about him being in Heaven right now.  I'd like to think he is looking down at us right now and is proud of the way we are celebrating his life.  But I just don't think that's true.  I think he is too busy playing yukor with his friends and passing out hugs.  Oh how he liked to give hugs.  If there is a "hugger" in Heaven, well....move over because Claude McHenry just came into town.
 
Signed - a man proud to share your name.......Paul Eugene



Dear Jesus,
Today is in the middle of many tough days....the days where my Daddy's earthly body dwindled away and the days ahead where he will be greatly missed.  Father, please wrap Your loving arms around my Momma and give her comfort.  I also pray for each of us family members and his friends who will go through the grieving process.  Encourage us,  Lord, with happy memories. Once again, Lord, I am holding onto John 14:1-4.  “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”  Father, I know You had a place prepared for my Daddy and for that I'm thankful.  I also know You have a place prepared for me and for that I'm thankful.  Being left here on this earth without my Daddy is difficult.  I'm not sure how I will handle it but I do know he taught me to be strong in You....to lean on Your strength.  So right now I need to tell You (even though You already know) I am wiped out...physically, mentally, emotionally....every bit of my being but I am thankful to have You Lord to restore me.  Thank You Jesus for being My Restorer!  Amen.

No comments: