Friday, May 23, 2014

Philippians 4:12-13 - Total Surrender=A Life of Contentment

I woke up this morning early and started praying for a couple people that are so unhappy with where life has them right now.  Actually, as I was praying the Lord reminded me they have been unhappy for many years.  When I look at their circumstances, I see them financially taken care of but the old saying that "money can't buy happiness" shows through in them.  

One definition of happiness is:

Full Definition of HAPPINESS

1
obsolete :  good fortune :  prosperity
2
a :  a state of well-being and contentment :  joy
b :  a pleasurable or satisfying experience

The Apostle Paul tells us in Philippians 4:12, I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  The secret Paul found to contentment is found in the following verse.   I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  

In order to live with the Lord's strength we first have to be in relationship with Him.  In order to be in relationship with Him, we have to accept Him.  But it goes deeper than just accepting Him if we want to have contentment.  It takes dying to self and allowing Him full control of our lives.  As I was praying for these two people I was reminded they've taken the first step by accepting Him but they haven't taken the surrender step with their relationship with Him.

In the worldly realm, complete surrender to the Lord doesn't look like much fun.  Complete surrender to Him means allowing Him our checkbook (ouch!), our calendar (double ouch!), our time to do as He wants of us and not necessarily what we desire to do (triple ouch!).  But I can testify that total surrender means peace.  It means contentment.  It means satisfaction in knowing no matter what I do, I am in His Will.

I asked the Lord what I can do to make a difference in these two people's lives.  His reply, "Pray."  That's easy to do but I sure do wish I could do more.  DUH!  Do more?!?!?  Prayer is the greatest and most effective thing I can do.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for contentment!  Lord, even when life gets tough I know Your strength is here for me and I praise You for that knowledge!  I pray for contentment for more believers.  I pray for more unbelievers to come into relationship with You.  Lord, direct my steps.  Direct my words.  Direct everything that happens in this day.  I praise You for loving me enough to take care of me in a way that is incomprehensible to the world.  Thank You Jesus for being My Contentment!  Amen.

No comments: