Monday, May 26, 2014

Mark 10:45; Philippians 1:4 & 2:5 - "I Give You My Heart"

3:47 AM….eyes open and I hear from the Lord…

LORD:  PRAY!

ME:  For who or what?

LORD:  PRAY! 

ME:  OK but wouldn't it make more sense if You gave me some details?

LORD:  PRAY! 

So I prayed.  I started praying for specific people who I know are going through some tough stuff physically.  Then my prayers led into people going through some tough stuff in relationships, specifically as they deal with loved ones who are addicted.  I still don't know who the Lord wanted me to pray for but I know I was obedient in that I prayed.  

After praying I began to wonder about the purpose of the middle of the night prayer times.  I mean, as a human being, I think it would make more sense if He told me who or what to pray for.  Maybe it's not about specific people or instances at all.  Maybe it's to see if I will be obedient in the middle of the night.  Maybe some day He will reveal it to me and maybe not.  I know one thing for sure is that I will be obedient to Him.  I know nothing the Lord does should take me by surprise but I am always amazed when I wake up refreshed even after having my sleep interrupted.  

I love the song "I Give You My Heart" because it's exactly how I feel about my relationship with the Lord.  It came to my heart this morning and when I got to the part "Every breath that I take, every moment I'm awake; Lord, have Your way in me" I had to chuckle.  He has His way with me not just when "I'm awake.." but also when He wakes me up.  

The desire of my heart is to have obedience like Abraham.  I want God to know He can ask me to do anything and I will be willing to do it.  Abraham knew God wouldn't ask him to do anything that wasn't needed.  When God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, he was a willing servant.  God didn't have any intention of killing Isaac.  All He wanted to see was if Abraham was obedient.  Is that what He is doing when He wakes me up at night to pray and doesn't give me specifics?  Is He just wanting to see if I am a willing servant?  

In order to be a willing servant, I first must make sure self has died.  I must have a servant heart who is willing to serve instead of being served.  In Mark 10:45 Jesus said, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  Paul goes on to tell us in Philippians 1:4, Each of you should be concerned not only about your own interests, but the interests of others as well.  In order to be a willing servant, we must look to others before ourselves.  Jesus was the perfect example for us to follow.  Philippians 2:5 reads You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.  I must have the right attitude in order to be His servant.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for giving me the example to follow of what a servant heart is all about.  Thank You for giving me opportunities to be obedient to You.  Father, I pray for many opportunities to come before me today.  Lord, enable me to have Your words flow from my mouth.  Empower my attitude to be as Yours.  Father, "Lord, have Your way in me.." is what I have on my heart.  Thank You Father for being The One I Obey.  Amen.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! Obedience to God means we are pleasing God....

My Strength said...

Amen!